catalog seeds or local store?

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you buy your garden seeds locally or order from a catalog? And why? The catalogs have more selection, but the locals seem to have the best variety for the area.

Are there any vegetable plants you buy already planted or do you buy only seeds? I have never had luck starting seeds inside. The stems seem weak and the seedlings waste away before they get established. What am I doing wrong?

inchworm

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If you're buying regular or hybrid seed there is really no difference whether you buy locally or by catalogue. But if you want to buy heritage seed (organic seed that you can take the seed from plants year after year after the initial planting) then you probably have better luck finding it through catalogues.

I personally always buy the plants from my local nursery, only because i have never had much lck with seed either. But the plants are never heritage OR organic.
I wa hoping to try using my greenhouse this spring and buying heritage seed, but the greenhouse we put up last summer colapsed under the weight of the 6 feet of snow we got before Christmas and then it rained GRRRR

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I buy from catalogs for the selection. I've got my favorites now that you can't buy at a store. The good seed houses have fresh seeds. I do tend to buy from regional places like Pinetree and Johnny's, but I love The Cook's Garden and some of the other smaller ones, too.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Both. We have a wholesale account at a store that is about 50 miles away. We get great prices and I stock up on greenhouse supplies there, too.

I get bulk seed there, bring it back and sell it at a profit. But, I still give a better price than anywhere locally.

I also order seeds that this place doesn't stock, like Park's Whopper Tomatoes or heirloom varieties. I make sure I order enough from each catalog to justify the shipping charges.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I buy from catalogs because I like heirloom, not-messed-around-with, seeds. The local stores out here have pretty limited selection. I like Shumway's & Baker Creek Seeds (their shipping is just $3!).

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I usually buy in the store as there are a few stores here now that carry organic seeds & some heirloom nonorganic. Plus I order heirlooms thru my organic buying club too. I also do buy starter plants too. But this year I am getting my own started too & I have never sone that before so we will see how that goes. I am really leaning toward all heirloom now, very few hybrids in my stash of seeds left.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
inchworm said:
Do you buy your garden seeds locally or order from a catalog? And why? The catalogs have more selection, but the locals seem to have the best variety for the area.
You must have better stores than we do (or anywhere I've ever lived). I'm used to stores selling just sort of whatever their supplier sends, not necessarily things that grow well in the area! Be nice to live somewhere that wasn't true! :)

I mostly order from catalogs.

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Both. I love the catalogues for very specific varieties that I know and love, plus they're great for unusual varieties and heirlooms, organic, bulk, etc.

My local stores, like the Farm and Fleet and our local farm store, have excellent selections, too, for much cheaper rates and obviously no shipping. They're even carrying bulk seeds, onions sets and potatoes, and organic. So I usually go crazy there, too.

As for starting seedlings indoors, I'm not an expert but I can tell you what works for me: Adjustable lights that can stay directly over the seedlings/small plants, warmth, good soil and drainage.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
First before I forget. Inside starting of seeds- it helps to have (once they have germinated,) an artificial light source if you can not provide enough natural light. Also, some seeds need to be darkish to sprout, some need heat, some need prechill and some will just go on. Reading the seed package will tell you- they mean what they say- cover the seeds with soil or spread and lightly scratch in. Then once they are up, they need enough light- without this , they grow long and thin usually. Then once they are really growing, they need to be moved to build strong stems like what happens when the wind moves them back and forth. Lastly, it doesn't help if you start them too early because if they are types of plants that need a certain warm of soil to grow on, they simply stop growing if put in a garden that's too cold yet. And then they may never catch up. Frequently I've seen direct planted seeds overtake and pass inside started ones.

I buy from catalogs mostly to get what I want but if I happen to be at a gardening store, I will buy because I can't stop myself. :rolleyes: But I almost never buy from Kmart or something like that. The one exception is a bulk buy of a reliable common seed like carrots or peas. Or an end of season buy on a type of seed that will be good for next season.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Great points--ETR! I used a fan on my tomatoes last year to get them toughened before setting out. It really does pay to take note of how early some things need to be started.