Catfish stew recipe

fisherman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi boys and girls,been a while since I posted anything so I will now,Does anyone have a recipe for catfish stew?I have heard people talk about catfish stew and I want to give it a try,,any help would be greatly appreciated,,thanks everyone :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Sorry. In our neck of the woods, no one eats catfish. IDK if our catfish are different than southern catfish, but no one eats them. They sure put up one heck of a fight on the line though. :D

S

sunsaver

You could get a recipe for New Orleans seafood gumbo, and just use the catfish instead of shrimp or whatever meats. We love fried catfish, its one of the mildest fish. I like ALL fish and seafood. No such thing as too fishy of a fish. But i'm the same way with cheese. No such thing as too stinky cheese. The more blue and sharp the better!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sunsaver, my DH is the same way -- he loves Stilton and Limburger, and Lapsang Souchong tea, which I think smells like tar!

S

sunsaver

Ha ha! Yeah we are weird! Foodies unite! There's normal food, then there's all us spoiled food critics. "Guilty, your Honor!"

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
http://www.grouprecipes.com/34913/down-home-catfish-stew.html#

A Google search turned up this recipe, which is very close to how I make it (I've never used a recipe, like any soup or stew I use whatever veggies I have on hand and always wing it). I've also made it by starting with a fish stock, but that may be too "fishy" tasting for you. Let me know when supper's ready! :drool

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Never ate catfish, living in a coastal area, i've alway mostly eaten saltwater fish.I've eaten freshwater local small/large mouth bass,white and yellow perch,carp and crappies, but imo they can't compare to the great taste of salt water fish..! To be honest ,never tried catfish,so i may be missing out on a good thing..

fisherman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
R2D2 said:
Never ate catfish, living in a coastal area, i've alway mostly eaten saltwater fish.I've eaten freshwater local small/large mouth bass,white and yellow perch,carp and crappies, but imo they can't compare to the great taste of salt water fish..! To be honest ,never tried catfish,so i may be missing out on a good thing..
They are a salt water version of the fresh water catfish ,so close that its hard to tell the difference just by looking at them,I have lived inland almost all my life except for two years I lived in newport news virginia,I am just the opposite of you,I couldn't adapt to the taste of saltwater fish,I liked the perch,and learned how to eat oysters straight from the shell,man those are delicious :drool

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
R2D2 said:
I agree about saltwater fish... absolutely the best!!! I'm not the biggest fan of catfish, but I like the small fingerlings pan fried or in a stew. Bass is okay, again, not a real favorite. I do love speckled perch though and can eat my weight in them, and bluegill are good.

Redfish, though, will start me drooling.... :drool

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Catfish in a stew IMO is a waste of an opportunity to deep fry :drool I don't care for most saltwater fish. I'm an inland southerner. Catfish(fried only) is my absolute favorite. However, I have lived on the coast and second favorite that I often do without is herbed smoked salmon :drool I could eat fish every day and never tire of it. :D I do miss a good cup of Grouper soup too though. I never got used to the clams/crab/shrimp/lobster stuff :sick I am the only person I know who hates typical "seafood" :hu

Latest posts