Catfood, the pressure-canned version

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, by request, here is how I make my catfood. This makes enough for two huge cats for a month, no other food given. We feed them 3-4 times a day, if we are going to be out all day, we freeze a couple chunks and put that out as well in the morning and hope for the best....(one cat is a pig!)

I am of the thought that a little vegetable material is necessary, emphasis on a little, and nothing starchy like potatoes or dry beans.

I usually choose whole chickens, then we take some of the breast meat for ourselves for chicken sandwiches and some for supper the day I make the catfood. Leg quarters are often $.59/lb if bought in 10 lb bags. Compare that to Innova!

6 whole chickens or 20 lbs leg quarters
6 lbs chicken livers
1.5 lbs Yellow veggies (carrots, pumpkin)
1.5 lbs Green veggies (green beans, zuchini, collards)

The evening before: Bake chicken at 350 for 2 hours, cover or lower temp halfway. Cool quickly on cold porch or on dinner plates. Use heavy rubber gloves and strip meat from bones as soon as you can handle it, skin and all. It is quick when you are not picky! I put my stand mixer in the sink with the grinder attachment and strip it right into the grinder, and into two of the biggest mixing bowls you've ever seen. A couple big plastic pails would work, too. Run the livers through the grinder, too, raw (yuk!)

Put all bones in a large stock pot, cover with filtered water or well water, and simmer overnight. No onions or garlic or salt.

Next day: Strain broth, use a bit to run the veggies through the blender, or run them through the food processor w/o broth. Add veggies to ground meat, and add enough broth to moisten the meat, the more the better. Let them have some of the fat, too, adjust according to their weight. Don't make it fat-free, they need some fat.

Pressure can it at 11 lbs in pint jars for 75 minutes, cold pack method.

The recipe makes about 30 pints. I started with about a half recipe, then I decided I would rather do this only once a month. Recently I decided it is a big pain in the butt in the summer, when fridge space is at a premium, so I am canning ahead during the winter when I can use my porch as a fridge to cool the chicken and store it overnight.

I may just have to get another canner so I can have two going at once!

Oh, and I mash the bones and little scraps from the stock pot and give them to my hens. They go nuts. I also take the wings off the whole chickens while raw for my dog, they are cheaper this way. I also always have some very nice broth left over for us, and will have soup that week, too. Or can that up, too. So along with the catfood, we get several meals out of it, too.

I also made a file with my labels, so I can just print out a page of 80 catfood labels. I also have another file with just the date, and can print out a page of date labels, too. It is much quicker that way, and then I just hand-print the miscellaneous labels, like the pork loin I threw in the canner with a batch of catfood yesterday, and three pints of pork stew. I guess that is even more meals I got out of the project!

Another edit: When opening a jar, I add two supplements, both by Pet Health. The multi for cats and the OPC's with glucosamine. Both cats perked up after adding those supplements, and for one, the change was dramatic. They are powdered and easy to introduce gradually for the picky eaters, and very cost effective. Especially since you can adjust how much you give if you are running out and need to stretch it out a bit. www.marketamerica.com/freemotion and look for the featured products banner or do a search for Pet Health.

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi freemotion!

I just saw this thread...thank you so much for posting this!

Leanne :frow

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have another question about the catfood, freemotion...

How long have your cats been eating this? I'm thinking that mine would probably need a "getting used to it" time period...so I'm wondering if I should try out the recipe on them before actually canning it...

Leanne

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Free-
I saw on another thread that you feed your dog raw. Could you describe what that means? Is it pricey to feed raw?

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Freemotion, your post answers a lot of questions I've had about making my own cat food! Somehow over the years we have acquired a dozen indoor cats and I am going bonkers trying to stay within budget and still feed them all. Most of them are at least eight years old, so I will have to change their diets gradually. We are currently spending about $4.25 a DAY to feed our animals, not including the chickens. I had given some thought to raising chickens to feed to the cats, but didn't have a recipe. This sounds a heck of a lot better than what I am reading on the side of the Friskies can. But I think I'll wait until I can get cheap chicken at the store and go from there, instead of growing them for catfood.

Oh my gosh, I'll bet I can save nearly eighty bucks a month on cat food. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
cjparker said:
Freemotion, your post answers a lot of questions I've had about making my own cat food! Somehow over the years we have acquired a dozen indoor cats and I am going bonkers trying to stay within budget and still feed them all. Most of them are at least eight years old, so I will have to change their diets gradually. We are currently spending about $4.25 a DAY to feed our animals, not including the chickens. I had given some thought to raising chickens to feed to the cats, but didn't have a recipe. This sounds a heck of a lot better than what I am reading on the side of the Friskies can. But I think I'll wait until I can get cheap chicken at the store and go from there, instead of growing them for catfood.

Oh my gosh, I'll bet I can save nearly eighty bucks a month on cat food. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!
Check your local grocery store, butcher counter. We knew a restaurant that bought all the beef and chicken that was past date. I don't why they could buy and use it when the grocery can't sell it but, there it is. They got it for cents on the dollar.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Inspirational. :D I have quail in mind instead of chicken, or whatever's on sale for super cheap at the time... Certainly Kitty won't mind, considering the junk I've been having to feed her due to budget constraints.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've been feeding them this recipe for maybe three years??? I've tweaked it a bit. My vet at the time got me into doing it, as I'd brought one of our cats to her for one last opinion before putting him down.....couldn't cure his cystitis and pruvite crystal problem, and he would tinkle in any container besides his box. He associated the catbox with pain, but wanted to be good, so he would use a suitcase, a box of stuff left open while unpacking it, a basket of mail set on the floor for a moment, a box of kindling recently emptied, etc. Any container that would hold his 16 lb fluffiness. Boy, that boy can pee!

He hasn't "thought outside the box" since. Even though it has been some trouble getting him to switch, as he is very fussy. Every new batch was a new struggle.

When I canned my first batch, he went nuts......he loved it from the first bite! Same recipe, just over-cooked, just like he likes it. I could never get him to eat raw, and won't bother trying again. My other cat, a couple years older, will eat almost anything. He reached almost 20 lbs on commercial food. Now he is a lean 16 lbs or so, and runs and plays more than he has since he was a kitten, and he is 14 or 15 years old now. It has turned their health around.

I usually get chicken for $0.59-0.79 per pound, and livers for $0.89-0.99 per pound. The veggies come from my garden and frozen ones on sale. I won't raise them, too much work when it is so cheap in the store, but I know I can if I ever have to. I would likely switch to rabbits and turkeys, less work to dress.

Yes, you should switch gradually. It is not generally a good idea to give a lot of variety to cats, unless they are brought up that way. I am of the thought that they should get food that is closest to what they would eat if wild.....birds and rodents, mainly. No beef or pork.

If you are feeding a bunch of cats, canning may be too much work, but you may want to can a stash just in case you have some sort of emergency and get behind....say you are due to make catfood in three days, and a family emergency calls you out of town. A couple cases of home-canned food will keep the cats from stress-related illness, which they can get from sudden food changes.

I think I answered all the questions, except the raw for the dog. I'll go start another thread for that to make it easier for others to find it later.

Glad to be of help!!! I came to this forum to pick others' brains, and it is great to give back! :cool:

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
. It is not generally a good idea to give a lot of variety to cats, unless they are brought up that way. I am of the thought that they should get food that is closest to what they would eat if wild.....birds and rodents, mainly.
Hey freemotion- I too believe that cats whould eat natural type foods...Haven't you ever wondered why there isn't catfood labelled, " Sparrow, Mouse or Vole?":lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup! It would be a hoot to label my own catfood with something like that for when the house-sitters come!!!! Can't wait to do my next batch and do some silly labels! :lol: