CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yippee chance of snow flurries 🌨️ might need to break out the long johns :(
Screenshot_20201129-233825.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang it's cold outside! I went in the coop this morning. No dead CCX but they met me at the door and had their little I'm hungry temper tantrum. I looked at the thermometer and it was 50 degrees in there.

I gave them feed and when they were preoccupied acting like pigs. I moved a shelf and installed my milk house heater. it's lowest setting is 1300 watts and I set it on temperature of 60. I just checked in the window yep the big thermometer says 60 and that's as warm as I'm going. I also got a good look at the chickens, they are all feathered in. In my estimate, they appear to be every bit of 3 weeks old. I only raise them to 10 weeks and even then I start feeling sorry for them. So I guess I have about 7 or so weeks of tending for them.

All this would be fine, if it were warm out but no... I must make it hard on myself and play momma to a bunch of big fat stinky couch potato chickens, throughout the winter. I mean why don't I just take a hammer and dull up all my tools to make the work harder for myself while I'm at it?

I guess I could end it all here and now and just have some tender delicious cornish game hens or let them go another 3 to 4 weeks and have some nice fryers. But I'm really wanting to go 7 weeks for broilers. We shall see what becomes of all of this madness.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Think of fertilizer........
I have over 100 left from the "left behinds" I got from a commercial poultry house when their birds were picked up. Not planning on any this fall/winter with the moving...work on the house..... but hated to turn them down. Got a date to get about 30 done next week if I get my truck back...needs a slave cylinder, clutch and heater core....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I busted out laughing, dulling up your tools with a hammer!!! hahaha! Big fat stinky couch potato chickens! Hahahaha! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You know what they say about that, don't cha?

Ya cain't fix stupid. :weee:weee:weee

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Shouldn't feed them in a pan they can walk in. Wastes too much feed with manure and all in it. Plus the scratching it out and wasting it. They look good. The ones I get as left behinds are that big or bigger.... they are now in the 6+ lb range I imagine....