Cedar Berries

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone used cedar berries for anything ?
They are in harvest now those little blue berries ( junipers)

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone used cedar berries for anything ?
They are in harvest now those little blue berries ( junipers)
"The spicy, aromatic, dark berries of the juniper tree can be used fresh or dried, crushed or whole, to flavour casseroles, marinades and stuffings and complement pork, rabbit, venison, beef and duck. They can also be used in sweet dishes such as fruitcake. Juniper berries also provide the main flavouring for gin."

"The wood, berries, and leaves are used for medicine. People take Eastern red cedar for cough, bronchitis, joint pain (rheumatism), water retention, and flatulence. They also take it to improve appetite and digestion, and as a treatment for fungal infections and worms."

"Eastern red cedar berries are related to common juniper berries but are superior in flavor. They are mild without the turpentine notes and bitterness of common juniper. They are almost sweet with a woodsy, piney flavor. ... The berries can be eaten dried, fresh, chopped, or powdered."

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok, so now I gotta go eat a red cedar berry and check it out for flavor. LOL

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a juniper on our propery, and I gather the berries occasionally to make my diy dijon style mustard. I also have a recipe for chicken with juniper berries in it, but somehow have never made it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And wouldn’t you know it, the farm I’m selling is loaded with cedar trees. And where I’m going? Don’t know yet. LOL

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't despair, Bay!

While these things are good to know, stored info for poss use -- I just don't feel I need it, until I need it. Then make it. Part of my decision that I don't need to do it all, until I do. :lol: I have a crapload of gumball trees....didn't attempt to make anything from them. My elderberries & comfrey, I'll fight you over them! Actually, I fight my goats over them. Beautyberrys? Work great for bug dispersing....wasn't impressed with the jelly. So making no more of it. How easy. ;)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've eat a few, taste like gin to me. Might go good in quercetin tonic water??? Ofcourse running a sawmill you get to eat and inhale all different kinds of woods (not intentionally).

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸