CFL Light Bulbs, why, when and other prepper options

liz stevens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some are upset with the new law which began the phase in on January 1, 2012 to stop the manufacturing or importing of the standard incandescent light bulb. The new mandate was signed into law in 2007 and started with the 2012 New Year.

The core issue seems to be that the government has again decided to step in and force a mandate on us that will cost the consumer more money in a down economy and take away an old mainstay that everyone has been comfortable with for over 130 years.

The first light bulb to go out of production was the 100 watt. On January 1, 2013 the 75 watt bulb will go out of production, followed by the 60 watt bulb on January 1, 2014 and then the 40 watt bulb in 2015.

No real worry here to rush out and stock up, as the stores are still allowed to sell inventory manufactured before the mandated dates and in anticipation of the new law manufactures increased production to stock pile an inventory.

Most are not seeing or buying into the concept that the CFL bulbs last longer and will provide a return on the additional investment in electrical savings over a five year period. The reality is that many have had to replace the new Compact Florescent Bulbs (CFL) within as little as two years, whereas the incadesant bulbs used previously lasted them much longer.

Others are concerned about the safety of the CFL bulbs as rumors and e-mails recently showing a burned CFL bulb that was supposedly shooting out fire, then followed with a general warning of the certain model of the CFL bulb had actually been linked to house fires.

Then there is the issue of the CFL bulbs containing mercury and the requirements of having to take brunt out bulbs to recycle them so mercury is not sent to landfills to leach into the water supply.

Others just don't like the light they produce compared to the warm soft glow of the incadesant bulb. While others don't like the slow or delayed time it takes for the CFL bulb to reach its brightness.

Another rumor on the Internet warns people not to use the CFL bulbs in an enclosed light fixture, reported because they will overheat.
The price and the life span is an issue, but the e-mail of the bulb causing fires was dispelled by Snopes.com link http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cflbulb.asp

The snopes article goes on to explain the appearance of brunt parts on the bulb is actually part of the built in safety systems to prevent the bulb from catching fire. They are actually expected to make a loud pop, smoke, and appear burned at the base as they do dim and eventually burn out, still not an easy sale when smoke and popping occurs on something electrical.

In regard to the bulbs not being recommended for an enclosed fixture that too appears to be non substantiated rumors, the fact is the bulbs burn far cooler than the incadesant bulb and do not heat up the fixtures as before. There is no warning labels or manufacture recommendations saying not to use them in an enclosed fixture. In fact we have used them in enclosed globes for over three years, and like that they do burn cooler.

There are manufacture warnings to not use the CFL bulbs in circuits controlled by dimmers, photo cell and timer circuits. Stocking up on some standard incadesant bulbs for these uses does make sense. Until dimmable bulbs and dimmers become more affordable.

The earlier model of the CFL bulb did have a delay time, with the exception of the CFL flood lights we purchased recently, the newer CFL bulbs are pretty much instant on and have been improved to produce the same warm glow of the older incadesant bulb

The CFL bulbs do save energy and for those using off-grid systems do provide less stress on battery and solar systems. They are also available in 12 volt models to use straight off a battery system without having to use an inverter. For the prepper or back-to-basics off grid lifestyle the CFL bulbs do provide many benefits beyond the incadesant bulb.

By the time the 2014 mandate hits a newer more efficient and safer LED bulb will most likely be another option for the consumer. Just like the CFL bulb when it entered the market place the price at nearly $24 per bulb is not something many want to spend money on right now. They are available on line and are just beginning to catch on in the self-sufficient Amish communities.

The LED bulb does not contain mercury or use the hot ballast to power the light. It burns cooler, is even more energy efficient and should be cheaper to manufacture and dispose of over the CFL bulb. As technology improves it may just be the next generation of energy efficient light bulb after a short lived CFL bulb.

The LED bulb uses a cluster of light emitting diodes in place of just one element or loop such as the incandescent and the fluorescent predecessor bulbs. These bulbs do last up to five times longer than the incadesant bulb. When one or several of the diodes do burn out the others continue to light.

LED lights are already being used in the home in the small disc lights in display cabinets and for over the counter task lighting under upper kitchen cabinets.

The trucking industry has been using LED lighting for several years for tail & stop, and clearance lights installed on new trucks and trailers. The LEDs provide a much brighter light with far less strain on the trucks battery and charging system. They also do not have the filaments used in traditional incandescent bulbs being subjected to the bounce and shock of a truck hitting potholes.

LEDs have also become popular in flashlights and other battery powered lighting because they do save battery life. LED lights are very bright and produce a more white light, thus just like the early CFL bulbs, changes in the technology will need to be adapted in order to reach the warm glow most still desire in table and reading lamps.

Because they use so much less energy, both CFL and LEDs bulbs are already greatly benefiting solar and battery power system advancement as this technology improves toward total off-grid system capabilities. We have already seen a large swing in the Amish communities just in this past year toward using the CFL and now to the LED bulbs, as they are so much more energy efficient and safer than oil and gas lights.

At Cottage Craft Works we are actually working on adding an Amish built plug and go solar power system for those wanting to move toward a low voltage solar or wind powered system. Our concept is to provide a small affordable system that can be upgraded as people want to grow less dependent on the grid-power. We will keep everyone posted on how this develops.

Britteny

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
How can a build a display of LED emergency dash lights?
How can a build a display of LED lights?
I sell emergency vehicle lights. I would like to be able select one model at a time (similar to car stereo displays commonly found in retail stores). The display would be a wall with a push button switch that would power 12vdc cigarette lighter outlet. I only want one unit to be powered at a time. Could I do this with momentary switches and a type of relay circuit?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a stock pile of "regular" light bulbs for my snake and chick brooder lights, the cfl's don't get warm enough. And I plan to keep buying them till the very end.

lesliemorris85

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
LED is definitely gaining ground now that incandescent bulbs are being phased out. But it seems such a shame though not to have incandescent bulb anymore. I like the nostalgic feeling it evokes.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well hopefully they still have incandescent in Canada. I live close enuf to jump the border and buy them and sneak them back.. I use them in my chicken brooders and have a good few boxes hidden away. I was told by tractor supply that brooder bulbs are still going to be allowed due to what they are used for but man I don't wanna pay $10 for two! ick.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britteny said:
How can a build a display of LED emergency dash lights?
How can a build a display of LED lights?
I sell emergency vehicle lights. I would like to be able select one model at a time (similar to car stereo displays commonly found in retail stores). The display would be a wall with a push button switch that would power 12vdc cigarette lighter outlet. I only want one unit to be powered at a time. Could I do this with momentary switches and a type of relay circuit?
This very morning I got my Lee Valley catalog and they claim they sell the equipment for LED lighting everything from one LED to 8' strands You can even get R G B Leds with a contoller to mix and blend the red green and Blue colors with white to get the balance you want. I remember one the claims was that you could install directly into 12 volt systems like a car, a RV or even a boat. There website is http://www.leevalley.com/US/home.aspx they have stores and other outlets in both the USA AND CANADA. I have delt wwith them for severaal years and their customer service is outstanding. You will have to decide for yourself about their prricing I have spent several $K irh them and I think you get what you pay for .I haven't checked the website today so I don't know if they are posted there yet, If not call their too free number and they will send you a catalog.~gd

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just go to a lighting store and get the odd shaped bulbs. They are considered specialty and come in the high watts.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
liz stevens said:
Some are upset with the new law which began the phase in on January 1, 2012 to stop the manufacturing or importing of the standard incandescent light bulb. The new mandate was signed into law in 2007 and started with the 2012 New Year.

The core issue seems to be that the government has again decided to step in and force a mandate on us that will cost the consumer more money in a down economy and take away an old mainstay that everyone has been comfortable with for over 130 years.

The first light bulb to go out of production was the 100 watt. On January 1, 2013 the 75 watt bulb will go out of production, followed by the 60 watt bulb on January 1, 2014 and then the 40 watt bulb in 2015.

No real worry here to rush out and stock up, as the stores are still allowed to sell inventory manufactured before the mandated dates and in anticipation of the new law manufactures increased production to stock pile an inventory.

Most are not seeing or buying into the concept that the CFL bulbs last longer and will provide a return on the additional investment in electrical savings over a five year period. The reality is that many have had to replace the new Compact Florescent Bulbs (CFL) within as little as two years, whereas the incadesant bulbs used previously lasted them much longer.
inIncandescent Lamps-I think these were out sourced overseas long ago. Only those stockpiled in the USA will be available as the rolling ban continues.
Core issue Yep just like they did with TV sets, the government said they would supply converters to use the old sets. I had a very nice set which is now only useable with cable or dish services. I cant even give the thing away [ I have tried].
CFL bulbs work well either with the base up or base down. But lay them on their side and they fail very rapidity. I think this is where the story about using them in enclosed fixtures came from. Many of the enclosed fixtures require them to be on their side. I have enclosed light fixtures throughout the house. Where they are upright I usually jump the wattage from 60 watt limit to the ones that are supposed to give the same light as a 100 watt bulb these have been in place for 4 years since I completely rebulbed the place when I bought it. The ones that lay on their side usually last about 6 months tops. I also have them in weather proof fixtures at the front and back door. They have been lit constantly for 4 years because they refuse to START IN THE COLD. So I just leave them on. Real money savers! Do they make CFL bulbs in the small Socket size? The ones that are supposed to look like candles? I quit looking for them and finally rewired to take LEDS they can be dimmed and look more like candles than either of the old bulbs.
You wrote about the slow start with CFL but not the after glow when you turn them off. I think it is due to the mercury cooling from vapor back to liquid. Very relaxing to watch them dim out as you drift off to sleep.
Yes a CFL will throw a spark and shoot fire and I have a burnt lampshade to prove it. I was reading when it happened and turned it off right when ir was shooting. Exam showed a crac the glass where it joins the base.

Others are concerned about the safety of the CFL bulbs as rumors and e-mails recently showing a burned CFL bulb that was supposedly shooting out fire, then followed with a general warning of the certain model of the CFL bulb had actually been linked to house fires.

Then there is the issue of the CFL bulbs containing mercury and the requirements of having to take brunt out bulbs to recycle them so mercury is not sent to landfills to leach into the water supply.

Others just don't like the light they produce compared to the warm soft glow of the incadesant bulb. While others don't like the slow or delayed time it takes for the CFL bulb to reach its brightness.

Another rumor on the Internet warns people not to use the CFL bulbs in an enclosed light fixture, reported because they will overheat.
The price and the life span is an issue, but the e-mail of the bulb causing fires was dispelled by Snopes.com link http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cflbulb.asp

The snopes article goes on to explain the appearance of brunt parts on the bulb is actually part of the built in safety systems to prevent the bulb from catching fire. They are actually expected to make a loud pop, smoke, and appear burned at the base as they do dim and eventually burn out, still not an easy sale when smoke and popping occurs on something electrical.

In regard to the bulbs not being recommended for an enclosed fixture that too appears to be non substantiated rumors, the fact is the bulbs burn far cooler than the incadesant bulb and do not heat up the fixtures as before. There is no warning labels or manufacture recommendations saying not to use them in an enclosed fixture. In fact we have used them in enclosed globes for over three years, and like that they do burn cooler.

There are manufacture warnings to not use the CFL bulbs in circuits controlled by dimmers, photo cell and timer circuits. Stocking up on some standard incadesant bulbs for these uses does make sense. Until dimmable bulbs and dimmers become more affordable.

The earlier model of the CFL bulb did have a delay time, with the exception of the CFL flood lights we purchased recently, the newer CFL bulbs are pretty much instant on and have been improved to produce the same warm glow of the older incadesant bulb

The CFL bulbs do save energy and for those using off-grid systems do provide less stress on battery and solar systems. They are also available in 12 volt models to use straight off a battery system without having to use an inverter. For the prepper or back-to-basics off grid lifestyle the CFL bulbs do provide many benefits beyond the incadesant bulb.

By the time the 2014 mandate hits a newer more efficient and safer LED bulb will most likely be another option for the consumer. Just like the CFL bulb when it entered the market place the price at nearly $24 per bulb is not something many want to spend money on right now. They are available on line and are just beginning to catch on in the self-sufficient Amish communities.

The LED bulb does not contain mercury or use the hot ballast to power the light. It burns cooler, is even more energy efficient and should be cheaper to manufacture and dispose of over the CFL bulb. As technology improves it may just be the next generation of energy efficient light bulb after a short lived CFL bulb.

The LED bulb uses a cluster of light emitting diodes in place of just one element or loop such as the incandescent and the fluorescent predecessor bulbs. These bulbs do last up to five times longer than the incadesant bulb. When one or several of the diodes do burn out the others continue to light.

LED lights are already being used in the home in the small disc lights in display cabinets and for over the counter task lighting under upper kitchen cabinets.

The trucking industry has been using LED lighting for several years for tail & stop, and clearance lights installed on new trucks and trailers. The LEDs provide a much brighter light with far less strain on the trucks battery and charging system. They also do not have the filaments used in traditional incandescent bulbs being subjected to the bounce and shock of a truck hitting potholes.

LEDs have also become popular in flashlights and other battery powered lighting because they do save battery life. LED lights are very bright and produce a more white light, thus just like the early CFL bulbs, changes in the technology will need to be adapted in order to reach the warm glow most still desire in table and reading lamps.

Because they use so much less energy, both CFL and LEDs bulbs are already greatly benefiting solar and battery power system advancement as this technology improves toward total off-grid system capabilities. We have already seen a large swing in the Amish communities just in this past year toward using the CFL and now to the LED bulbs, as they are so much more energy efficient and safer than oil and gas lights.

At Cottage Craft Works we are actually working on adding an Amish built plug and go solar power system for those wanting to move toward a low voltage solar or wind powered system. Our concept is to provide a small affordable system that can be upgraded as people want to grow less dependent on the grid-power. We will keep everyone posted on how this develops.
Incandescent Lamps-I think these were out sourced overseas long ago. Only those stockpiled in the USA will be available as the rolling ban continues.
Core issue Yep just like they did with TV sets, the government said they would supply converters to use the old sets. I had a very nice set which is now only useable with cable or dish services. I cant even give the thing away [ I have tried].
CFL bulbs work well either with the base up or base down. But lay them on their side and they fail very rapidity. I think this is where the story about using them in enclosed fixtures came from. Many of the enclosed fixtures require them to be on their side. I have enclosed light fixtures throughout the house. Where they are upright I usually jump the wattage from 60 watt limit to the ones that are supposed to give the same light as a 100 watt bulb these have been in place for 4 years since I completely rebulbed the place when I bought it. The ones that lay on their side usually last about 6 months tops. I also have them in weather proof fixtures at the front and back door. They have been lit constantly for 4 years because they refuse to START IN THE COLD. So I just leave them on. Real money savers! Do they make CFL bulbs in the small Socket size? The ones that are supposed to look like candles? I quit looking for them and finally rewired to take LEDS they can be dimmed and look more like candles than either of the old bulbs.
You wrote about the slow start with CFL but not the after glow when you turn them off. I think it is due to the mercury cooling from vapor back to liquid. Very relaxing to watch them dim out as you drift off to sleep.
Yes a CFL will throw a spark and shoot fire and I have a burnt lampshade to prove it. I was reading when it happened and turned it off right when ir was shooting. Exam showed a crac the glass where it joins the base.

Latest posts