chain saw help please

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I own a Stihl 029 saw and have had it for years, I have bent the guide bar and I am looking online for a new one. I want to upgrade from the Stihl bar to another one (mainly because Stihl bars are stupid high and i can get a better bar for the same price) anyway my problem is the saw web sites are asking for the chain guage of either .063 or .050. First of all what is the chain guage and secondly what is a stihl blades guage? I have never bent a bar so i have never had to worry about it so please excuse my ignorance.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, good questions, I just buy me replacment bars from walmarts or tractor supply stores. They are usualy Oregon brand bars. look at the back of the package and it will tell you what size saw it fits. The gauge I beleive is the thickness of the blade. Your saw being an 029 I think either has a 20" blade. Hope this helps a litle bit. :lol:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I have two Stihl saws. I talk to Stihl's US headquarters before I even take mine in for repairs so I have an idea what is wrong.
I don't trust our local dealers after they gave my saw to someone else and denied that I dropped it off. After getting it back it still wasn't fixed.
Anyhow, yours seems like a question they could easily answer.
Good luck.
http://www.stihl.com/isapi/unterneh..._countryId=153&akt_country=USA&mlLanguage=eng