ChaneyLakegirl ..... In the begining

ChaneyLakegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? Wisconsin - a little bit of everything
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?4 in the family, Hubby, 2 adult daughters both in college
3. How would you define self sufficiency?Not relying on others for the things you need
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?more food preservation
5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to? no, no
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet? no, hubby can
7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? moved beyond ways of cutting back, cutting corners to figuring out what we could do for ourselves
8 Cloth or paper? Cloth as much as possible
9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?really have a long way to go to be SS
10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient? I'm pretty open to most SS, though I like my computer/internet
11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs? yes, workig on that
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world? outside, somewhere quiet
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi? no
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? I can sew, I have taught my daugters
15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?yes, we are very rural but we have none
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood? no, hubby can operate metal lathe
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? I'm learning, but like having the dill/onions/tomatoes available
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? no
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? nearly one acre, own it (with the bank) in the country
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL? yes
21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? good question, dehydrating & pressure canning
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?no
24. Are you interested in herbal medicine? Yes
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? Michigan's Upper Penninsula, wanna be a Yooper
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?No
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?n/a
28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency?Hubby a little, kids no
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?Yes, yes, perhaps, yes
30. What was your MOS?MOS???
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?no
32. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?sewing, cooking, canning, baking and I chop wood
33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live?
34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?No, based on the expense it is far down the list, but yes
35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England? Striped or polkadotted?
36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? No, but very much would like to do this
37. In what do you trust?God, my family, the sun coming up tomorrow
38. Do you make things yourself to save money?Yes, mostly fabric related
39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?
Yes, I often see if I have something else that will work makeshift before I buy

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome

The U.P. is beautiful. Lived there a little while (tough to stay w/o a job) & have several family members who live (just west of Marquette, I think they said) there.

ChaneyLakegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcomes. I have learned so much ready on this forum.

I canned this summer for the first time. I did blueberry jam, triple berry jam, salsa, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, chili base and all kinds of pickles. I only did waterbath canning. Thinking about a pressure canner, as I only have so much room in the freezer. I also picked up a dehydrater at a thrift store recently. I've only done bananas & cherry tomatoes thus far. I hope to do apples if I can find a good deal.

We had a little garden this summer, hope to expand in spring and grow much more. We grew tomatoes, onions, dill, raspberries, currents and blackberries. We have 2 apple trees that we should have sprayed. Thats another project for next year.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Welcome! Sounds like you're well on your way with the gardening and canning... dehydrating, check. Okay ladies, we need to get her hooked on fermenting, chickens and a goat. Not necessarily in that order!

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I missed the comma at first, and was wondering why you wanted to ferment chickens.