Changing a Playhouse into a Greenhouse

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband built our daughter a playhouse two years ago that he never finished. Our daughter never plays in it. She says "it spooks her out" because of the spiders and hornets that had once lived in it. She's given me permission to change it into a greenhouse. To do this, I'd have to remove the outer and inner layers of plywood leaving just the frame work and flooring. Then I'd add corrugated plastic to the walls and roof. I think I could make the roof hinged so I could open it for ventilation. The porch could be used to harden off the plants. I think all I'd need after that is some shelving, a door, and a spigot. Any suggestions on the process is greatly appreciated!

1222_005.jpg

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have no ideas, but it should be a nice greenhouse! let us know how it goes!

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It is indeed a great idea turning the old playhouse into a greenhouse. This time you can surely say that it has been used. Just wondering on the result of your greenhouse, is it done? ;)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, it does sound like something that's feasible, and a greenhouse is something good to have and use. You're on the right track, keeping ventilation in mind. As someone told my wife and me, before we had the first greenhouse of our own, cooling the inside of the GH is the big consideration in late spring and through summer. It's only in the shoulder seasons that it's much of an issue of the interior possibly getting too cold.

You might think about photographing the process of partial dismantling of the play house and then the re-construction as a geenhouse. It would be great if you felt like putting a concise description of the process, along with some pics, on this Sufficientself repurposing thread:
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11875

Good luck with the conversion. :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe you could repurpose an old RV vent and install it in the roof.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ya'll do realize this post was from March of last year, right? It's very old, although I'd like to know whatever happened with it too, I bet the OP has forgotten it.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Didn't realize it until you told me. :idunno At the rate some of my projects get done a year seems just about right. :lol: