Charity garden

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm working on starting a charity garden. The idea is to teach poor city people how to grow some food for themselves. I want to have them work in a garden, learn how to preserve food using jars and root-cellar techniques.

I'm thinking of using a community-ed class to advertise, but I don't know how to describe the class so that it will appeal to the right group without offending them. Any thoughts or advice?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I would advertise it as a community project for the "hungry". There is a young girl who started a program like this and they donate the proceeds to soup kitchens and food banks. Once the place is established, then you can attract the poor folks by reputation, the ones who want to garden will probably show up on their own, the ones that are so inclined.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
poor people? why not just word it for ALL people? you can't offend anyone if you don't 'target' anyone.

Charity Garden class--learn to grow and preserve fresh food from your own yard and container gardening...... A great skill to learn------or something like that.

Poeple who want to garden might come, people who don't, won't.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Or Victory Gardening? Can that be used? I remember they used that term during WW11 when supplies were short. There's still a PBS show called Victory Gardens, isn't there?

Whatever words you use, I think it's a great idea!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL I loved that old host on Victory Garden...but yea it is still on tv with a new young guy running the show.

Victory is a way better word than Charity...good thinking! :)

Latest posts