Charlotte Mason

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Anyone use Charlotte Mason type curriculum? I found Ambleside Online and that seems pretty good. Just wondering if anyone else uses CM and what you do for science/math.

My son is only 5 so we don't really "do school" yet, we read every day and he helps me cook and clean and we play a lot and he plays a lot with his 3 yr old sister who does everything with us.

We give him opportunities to count and do math but we really don't do a lot of copywork/worksheet type stuff. He can write the alphabet and his first name/last name (although he hates to). His latest thing is wanting to write everything backwards...yes, he knows he's doing it. :p

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has used CM and how they are doing with it.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know this is a rather old post but anyway.....

I love this approach to homeschooling. We have used the Ambleside Online curriculum for many years now. My oldest is 16 and has gone all through years 1 though 8. We've done our own eclectic thing for the highschool years, but continue to use AO for grade school and Jr. High. Even with my highschooler we still use many of the books from AO's highchool book list.

For Math we've been very happy with Math-U-See. We've done all levels and my highschooler is still using it as well. He's about to wrap up Algebra and move on to Geometry. It's worked well for us.

For science we've used mostly what AO has recommended. For the Jr. High level we start with Apologia general science and then their physical science. We may or may not be starting biology in the near future - we have to see what the college offers - if I can get his lab science taken care of at the college I'd much rather do that.

At 5 my kiddos work on just what yours is doing - letter and number recognition and then writing them if they are interested and lots of being read to and "helping" me, DH or the older children.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Thanks....I'm at a point where we are at the brink of having to start a curriculum and I think Ambleside will be something we may use. My 3 yr old actually likes doing flash cards....weird :lol:

I need to buckle down with my son who turns 6 in February though. He's doing very well but I want him to write a little more. I don't want to push him away from it but I need to push him a little more toward it too :p

It's hard when you use an eclectic approach for people to see that you are actually doing something educational every day. I need all the support I can get!

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I may interrupt. I would suggest you check out Sonlight too. They are our favorite.
Nancy

mrsb73122

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and a former homeschooling mom. All of my kids are graduated now. I really like the CM method; however, we didn't use it until my last one was approaching high school. I wanted to suggest the Simply Charlotte Mason site. She has a lot of information and things available. The website is simplycharlottemason.com.

Sharon B.

Latest posts