Cheap Power Plants

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was looking at some old books today that I forgot that had. In one of these books was a series of pictures that showed all the different ways that farmers used to use tractors for. They were basically a mobile power plant used to do all kinds of things. In some of the pictures you could see a drive belt hooked to a pully that was used in place of a wheel.

The pictures showed buzz saws, threshers and pumps being hooked up to the tractor. This got me to thinking about it. Then I thought about my truck that I rarely use. I have a little Chevy S-10 that sits most of the time and about 3 or 4 times a year it gets used to haul something.

I could use this for a power plant.

It would be real easy to hook a jack shaft up to the rear axle and lock the opposite side and run a generator to generate power in emergencies. A generator that runs off a PTO shaft and produces 1600 watts can be had for $1300. You could easily hook water pumps up to a PTO, hydraulic pumps and so on. If one was careful you could even build a system to use the exhaust as a heat source. The really cool part is that you have a transmission for setting up the perfect RPM and still keeping the engine running as fuel efficient as possible. You will need to install a throttle lock for setting the RPM while idling.

You could use almost any vehicle you wanted and it is already set up. Now you do not have to buy expensive add ons. You could just adapt items you already have and just hook them up to jack shafts.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You would have to beef up the cooling system on your truck. Road vehicles depend on the velocity of the airflow through the radiator while moving down the road. Farm tractor cooling systems are designed for stationary work. You could trade in your truck for a tractor and then you would have the PTO, the cooling, and everything you need (except a truck).

Also a 1600 watt generator is pretty small. One hair dryer is 1500 watts. It would be OK for lighting but not much more.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Excellent idea. I've seen where a rim was used as part of a belt drive system to run a buzz saw, and where a spiral type wood splitter was bolted to a wheel drum. I'm sure there are a lot of ideas that would work. Especially when you consider all of those types of devices were available for my '39 Ford 9N, and it is only powered by a Model T engine.

Also, I agree that you probably just mis-typed and meant 16,000w and not 1,600w. Northern tools has a 7,200w for about $900, and I believe that they have 27,000w for under $3k.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Boogity said:
You would have to beef up the cooling system on your truck. Road vehicles depend on the velocity of the airflow through the radiator while moving down the road. Farm tractor cooling systems are designed for stationary work. You could trade in your truck for a tractor and then you would have the PTO, the cooling, and everything you need (except a truck).

Also a 1600 watt generator is pretty small. One hair dryer is 1500 watts. It would be OK for lighting but not much more.
Sure a few mods might be needed, but still it is a cheap way to go. The generator was just an example. You can put almost anything on there you wanted. The truck I have has the 4.3 liter V6 and will have enough power to turn just about anything I wanted.

The point is that many of us have a power plant sitting right in front of us doing nothing and could be put to good use with a little imagination.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Using a tractor PTO to run a generator or logsplitter or etc isn't old-fashioned, people do it plenty *now* too :)

That's an interesting idea about rigging a setup to allow you to do similar off a regular vehicle though. Do it and post pics!

Pat

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That 4.3 liter V6 is a great engine. Many hot rodders and off road people love them.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Boogity said:

The cooling system on today's vehicles would be more than adequate to run stationary for extended periods of time. They are designed to run at the required temperature even though there is an air conditioning condenser if front of the radiator, basically preheating the air before it ever gets to the radiator. Not to mention all the oil coolers and transmission coolers on cars and trucks.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Using a tractor PTO to run a generator or logsplitter or etc isn't old-fashioned, people do it plenty *now* too :)

That's an interesting idea about rigging a setup to allow you to do similar off a regular vehicle though. Do it and post pics!

Pat
I'd love to, but right now it is not an option. Tomorrow I go in for a very serious operation and will be down for the next 6 months, after that I will have to hire all my physical work done for me. Not a big deal and will eventually have a hired hand take care of a project like this for me.

I thought of another idea over night. When I was a kid there was an old model T in a side off shed that was up on blocks with no tires and wheels on it that was at a neighbors house. My Dad told me that in it's day they used it to run a small saw mill.

I was thinking that I could take this truck and put it on blocks and take the bed off and run things off of the drive shaft. I would cut the back of the frame off and basically just have the cab with motor, transmission and drive line set up. I could use the front hubs and rear end for other projects.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
They just use electric fan motors now for cooling. Of course the diesels in tractors have a lot more torque which is what you need for any kind of heavy load. Good idea though if you have a vehicle that is just sitting around or wrecked or something.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ummm.... what about the paying $4 a gallon for gas? :/ or even diesel? Maybe if you could modify it to bio-fule and make it yourself.