Cheapest way to raise meat to eat

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Supplies for rabbits are a basically one time cost. I got my cages used (=cheap), with the feed containers already attached. I had to buy water bottles and crocks for the water in the winter. Plus I had to buy ivermectin for the occasional worming (which I use on my other ritters too) .
Yup, but it can be a big investment, especially if something doesn't work out (like in my case :( ). But, if you can get the cages and starter stuff free or dirt cheap, you're pretty well set.

I bought the pellets as cheap as I could. I came across a sale and bought several 50lb bags for $9.99 each. I was more worried about the added vitamins and minerals than the "fillers" in the feed, since they were getting good hay and forage.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yesterday a fella asked me how I found time to raise the things I raise on my place, with a full time job and all. I simply smiled and stated, "Well...I don't have a husband." :lol:

Soooooo much can get accomplished if you don't have to argue or debate a project,cook for and feed someone when you aren't hungry, pick up after and spend time with someone when you really need to be outside doing chores. :p

Once you have your setup and you've ironed out all the kinks in your system to streamline your chores, the multispecies stacking method isn't a big thing...especially on a small scale.

I agree that rabbits are an initial cost but after that very little expense...and extremely self-renewing.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Even that initial cost can be avoided or extremely lessened.

Watch Craigslist and Freecycle this year about the middle of May! Lots of people will buy Easter bunnies for their kids and along about May is when mom and dad get sick of arguing about rabbit chores and get rid of the rabbit while JR is playing video games. Very often you can get rabbits, cages and ALL equipment necessary (sometimes even FEED) for a bargain price or even free. :thumbsup

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree with that....I've gotten a rabbit and new cage for the low price of $15. Some will even give them away FREE to good home.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I agree with that....I've gotten a rabbit and new cage for the low price of $15. Some will even give them away FREE to good home.
And what better home than with it's maker? ;)

YUM!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm on my last 'on day' and then I can farm better. My son is a big help, as far as tending to things when I'm away, but he doesn't do things exactly like me. Well as far as I know, he hasn't been able to catch that huge coon yet. I hope I'm wrong, but I couldn't have tended it very easily anyway because of my work schedule, so now I'm just about ready.
How cheap is that........slaughtering an animal that got huge from eating all your neighbors dog food? Its like a farm where your neighbors have fattened up the livestock. Thank God I have a Coop Knox, because I would have contributed to the coons large size too.
Well I haven't experienced a greasy coon yet. I cook mine in olive oil and I find the meat is very similar to that of rabbit. Strange when you compare the diets of the two animals. My biggest problem with coons is skinning them. I find it difficult to cut the skin, by comparison to rabbit. Its pretty tough. The tail seems to look stupid too, after I skin it, so I cut it off. And I seem to be bothered by the fact that they have little hands, but once I do away with it, I'm Okay.
They are a nuisance and a danger to my poultry, so if I can eat them, my animals are safer and I have put a meal on the table super cheap.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If I developed a taste for squirrel I could eat free for months :D My neighbors fatten them up and everything.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:thumbsup to ALL of these last posts.
I gotta boast about DH for a second. The last one he shot with a .22. Got a perfect second as the coon stood up on his hind legs to see if we would go away. DH popped him right in the eye! :love a man with good aim :D

Oh, and am I the only one that didn't know until recently that coons had a bone in their reproductive appendage? :hide

DH has skinned almost all of the coons we've harvested. I did most of the last one, and I agree rhoda, they are a good deal tougher than rabbits. I'd compare the meat to roast beef, honestly. :)

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Deer and moose hunting just getting started here. They of course are harder to find and shorter season, if I was really being more thrifty in this I'd be after the tons of rabbit (snowshoe hare) that are wild in the area, and grouse (ruffed and spruce). Way longer season and you can't go for a walk without running into a few of them.

Hubby says no way he is ever eating a rodent of any sort so count him out on rabbit stew. He has a bad memory of a military run where they were told to eat rats or starve, he picked the latter.

We have very few coons in BC and not in this area. The ones we do have seems are mostly in cities, garbage coons. Very unhealthy, not something I'd ever eat. When I lived at the coast I'd see them and really felt bad for them, they needed to be put down but trapping was the only option, big city, and they were trap smart.