Cheapest way to raise meat to eat

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Since pork fat is GREAT I have no idea how a lot of fat on a pig would be a bad thing.
We had 2 pigs that we fed a lot of table scraps and they had way too much fat on them. Pig fat may be great for you but I don't like a lot of it in pork chops or ribs or ham. Some is good and helps give the meat a nice flavor. Too much is gross. :( I like bacon that has some fat in it over real lean bacon. Our 2 pigs had too much fat and I was very disappointed in them and considered our efforts raising them to be a failure. The meat locker smoked the hams and bacon for too long and we ended up feeding them to the dogs. It taught us a lesson about buying some pork from the locker before having them process your meat to see how they flavor it. We bough a couple sides of beef from the same place and had them hang for 13 days. They were delicious. :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Like Wifezilla says pork fat is the bomb!

Back in the day hogs were BRED for lard. It was a very welcome commodity, great to cook with and kept much better than butter!

Pot belly pigs have a higher bone to meat ratio. So you will get slightly less edible meat. Eating potbelly pigs is a site with more info.

Jared77

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Eating potbelly pigs is a site with more info.
Why I love this site and its sister sites. I never would have known that website existed.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just read the site. There's not really anything on the pig for making bacon!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmm ... One source suggests too fatty, another not enough fat for bacon?

I think bacon is my favorite part of pork! And unless I find it at a Mexican market, I'm doing good to pay under $3 a pound here. I buy Boston butt for around 99 cents, country ribs or ham for about $1.50. So bacon is the pricey meat too.

I dunno. Most people keep them for pets here of course. I have Vietnamese friends, so I asked about the pigs in Vietnam. They are meat livestock there.

I tend to look at overfat dogs and cats, think of how smart and food-motivated pigs can be, and it seems most likely what someone posted just up from here that it's maybe a matter of a spoiled, overfed pet. I could be guessing wrong though. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The NEED we all have for bacon is why modern "bacon type" hogs are built like a dachshund! :lol:

In the olden days the lard was more important, so "lard type" hogs are built blocky and round. Potbellies may not be the best choice for bacon, but you could sure make sausage and other treats out of one! ;)