Check it out (chickens)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
These guys don't really look healthy to me....do they to you?
3756662213_cedc174b28_b.jpg

I am trying to find a white egg layer and these are on CL

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Personally I don't think they look too good. I'm not a chicken expert by any means, but they don't give me a good feeling. They look lean and not well cared for.

(Dace I wish you wanted an Ameraucana, I have some really nice ones!! They don't lay white eggs tho.)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That was my impression too. But since I am new to the whole chicken thing, I thought I ought to get another opinion :)

I do want more Ameraucanas...babies, but probably not till this winter/early spring.
For now I just want to add one more hen to our bunch :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
First, I think they look old...

Second, I'd be ashamed to post pics of my chickens if they looked that bedraggled :hide

Puck-Puck

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Caveat, this is from a chicken noob! They look lean, but are they a lean breed? They look scruffy, but are they moulting? They look haggard...harder to make an excuse for that. My gut feeling is that you can do better. Maybe you could start fresh with hatching eggs (if you have the time to bring them to laying age). That way, you'll KNOW they're healthy, happy, and how old they are!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I'd pass unless you have a way to quarantine completely away from your flock for 4 months.

eta: I have seen chickens in worse shape. This spring I watched a friend's flock for 2.5 weeks. She didn't recognize some of her birds because I fed her flock (at her place) like I feed mine. I also gave them some PoultryDrench in the water to boost their vitamin intake as her flock gets no outside time at all.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
if it were me and i wanted a specific type of layer i would get day olds from a hatchery, you can get exactly what you want breed, egg type and egg size, day olds arent hard at all to raise and if you get a roo then you can keep a pure bloodline. it is not as cheap to get started but at least you know how they are treated and that they dont have a disease.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, especially that one without it's head. :lol: Just kidding, of course. I would pass if I were you.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. My gut told me to pass, just thought I woudl test that against you experts :)

I just want to get one white egg layer for DH, so I don't want a baby I need a little older hen or started pullet to mix in my month olds.