Cheese cloth

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OK. My hubby came in today and said that most of the oranges on the tree are ripe so now I can make some marmalade. Yeah!!! I love the stuff, but I have never made it before. I have been waiting months for the oranges to come in so I can do some canning! :D So I took out my wonderful Ball canning book and found the recipe. Turns out I need cheese cloth. I don't have any and have never need to buy any, so I hopped in the car and went to the dreaded Wal-Mart. (WOW, Wal-Mart is not in spell check. Maybe there is hope for the world yet!!) So, I get there and look all over the store and no cheese cloth. Asked two associates where I could find it and they both replied "cheese what?", so that was a big waste of time. I went to our other two smaller groceries and they didn't have any either. My questions are: Does anyone order this stuff online? If So, where? And, is there anything I should know about cheese cloth that I probably should have found out before running out to buy it? :/

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our Walmart has it with the foil. It was by the paper towels for a bit though.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I needed cheesecloth for something (don't remember what) when we first moved here 2 years ago and went to Wal-Mart to get it (cringes). Looked all over in the kitchen area and nothing!

Found it in the crafting/sewing area when I hit that section to get some sewing supplies. Apparently it is used more these days for Halloween decorations than in the kitchen...:idunno

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, I found it in the sewing section too. Also found it on clearance at a local store after Halloween, so I'd have to agree on Dawn419's comment. If you decide to buy online, you can Google cheese making supplies. An old pillow case or sheet (clean, of course :p ) will work in a pinch. I've also used a flour sack towel once, with good results, but it wasn't for something that could possibly stain it.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a couple of men's white hankerchiefs that are designated for the kitchen. I use them in place of cheese cloth, but the material is woven pretty tight, so sometimes it's a battle. When I use them, I wash them in the sink with dish soap, rinse well, a light spray of bleach water, rinse again and hang dry. Then back into the drawer with the kitchen stuff. No chance for them to be used for snot rags in between. :lol:

The last time I went looking for cheesecloth, I found it in the craft department, too.

nikki4612

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I use it when I bake my turkey. Works great to keep the butter and seasoning on the bird and not in the bottom of the pan. I grab a pack whenever I see it all year because it is hard to find. Most of the groceries don't carry it but I did find some recently in Dollar General. Hope this helps.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nikki- this is the first time in year I have heard of anyone using it for turkey,years ago my mom had a friend who was a chef and hertaught her this trick, makes for a beautifully golden bird.

It is hard to find here also,I always look at the fabric store for it.

It shouldn't be too hard to find this time of year ,with the clearance Halloween junk.

If I had to find it online I think I would look at fabric store s.

Good luck Dreamin and stock up when you do find it.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't shop at Wal-Mart, but I can find cheesecloth at any Dollar store and most grocery stores in the Housewares department (with kitchen twine and light bulbs).

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've made lots and lots of orange marmalade and never used cheese cloth. What does the recipe want you to do with it?

Over time we have switched from cutting the whole oranges in to small slivers to an easier less messy method. We peel the fruits and run the pulp through the kitchenaide grinding attachment. Then we cut the dry peels into slivers separately. We add them back together and proceed as the recipe says. That way I don't end up with juice up to my elbows.