cheese question

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If I'm using raw milk I don't have to use calcium chloride, right? And if I let the milk clabber, can I skip the thermophilic culture when I make mozzarella? I wish I could find a book of raw milk recipes that tell me how all these things where made a hundred years ago before everything became so bloomin' complicated.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I see no one has answered you yet, and I am sorry I am of no help. I've never made mozarella. I hope you get it figured out though!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I only made mozzerella a couple of times and that was with pastuerized milk. We did use calcium chloride. When I am looking for answers, E-How seems to be pretty good. I did find at heavenlyhomemakers.com a recipe for mozz. No calcium chloride but it does use citric acid and rennet. Good luck!

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you are using raw milk you don't need to use calcium chloride. If you want a mesophilic culture you use clabber. For a thermophilic culture, use yogurt.

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
here is a blog on making mozzarella. I can't post the url yet, but you can find it on a blog called forpeteysake dot blogspot dot com and it is the June 9th blog called par for the cheesy. Good luck!