Cherry Picking

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I picked cherries today! Just had to share. I got 13 lbs!

They are dwarf Montgomery's.. I think.
854_002.jpg

Anyone else picking fruit lately?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
YUMMMMMM!!

Cherries here too, bing and "ranier". It is still in the 60's here during the day so we didn't get a good crop of cherries. :( (They are only my favorite fruit!)

My lettuce is happy though!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
We've only ever juiced them for jelly or for wine, I'm not pitting all of those things!

While I was picking, if I came across any bad ones I could just let them drop to the ground - gone within seconds! But that goes for any good ones I accidentally dropped too, the chickens are too fast!
The other day I found one of the darned Fayoumi's up in the tree eating a whole slew of them, I sent her flying and now she's finally been keeping her pesky beak outta the trees.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We used to have a u-pick cherry place up the road, but agribusiness got the better of them and they uprooted 5 acres of cherry trees and planted corn. :(

so no upick cherries around here anymore. Strawberries are just about done here--I didn't pick too may, since we still had some in the freezer from last year, but today the kids and i were out picking peas. I just got them all blanched and in the freezer. I think I will go back tomorrow and get more, it is perfect weather for it.
raspberries start around july 7, and the kids have already said we NEED lots of raspberries

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I love cherries, but our tree still hasn't produced :(
I've been picking lots of cherry plums though. They are hanging over the fence from the neighbors yard and it looks like there will be a bumper crop this year. I already filled 2 quart jars with dried plums. I plan on making some plum wine too, I got the yeast, now I just need to get the rest of the stuff together, including the recipe and bottles. I want to get at least one more quart dehydrated though. I just love munching on them on those cold winter evenings.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We picked only a drinking cup full of cherries this year, but then again it is a young tree and last year our total cherry harvest was 3 cherries! :lol:

My apricots/nectarines are just coming good. I hope to pick some of them today. They are tiny this year, but I have a ton of them.

I did get about 3 gallons of black raspberries picked as well this year and the blackberries are thick, but just not quite ripe yet.

:cool:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BB those look amazing!!!

I have a cherry tree I planted a few years back. It's never had a cherry. To be honest I am not sure where the cherry grows on the tree. I did notice yesterday the little colored bump on the stem of the leaves. What's that about? I guess I should do a search on cherry trees. I don't think it gets cold enough here.

FF It is amazing how we have the same things growing at the same time. My nectarine is loaded for the first time this year. I picked two yesterday. Now should thy ripen on the tree or off?

g