Chick Cheat Sheet

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
OK, OK, I know I'm supposed to be asking this over at BYC. :hide But I thought I would ask you all here this question first. This will be my first year raising chickens and I would like to know what I need to know that is different about chickens for someone used to raising ducks. I know I can probably use the same brooder style, but I suspect I need a higher power heat lamp . . . I was using a 75 or 60 watt light bulb for the ducklings in a unheated indoor location . . . do I need to buy a real heat lamp for chicks? Can I get away with a higher wattage light bulb?

What else should I expect to be different with chickens?

I think I heard McMurray hatchery will NOT report you to NAIS for ordering chicks, is that true?

Thanks guys. :D

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have chicks now under a 60watt bulb and the temp is staying 98-100 right now. I do have them inside and no drafts. No drafts are important. I am using a 30 gal fish tank for a brooder right now.

Other than clean the waterer and feeder everyday (I am sure you know this) keep warm and draft free you shouldn't have any problems. I also use quik chick in the water for a few days with shipped chicks. Murray's website says you can use sugar in the water too. Watch out for pasty butts because shipped chicks can be stressed and paste up.

Also as soon as you get them home dip thier beak in the waterer to show them where it is and get them to drinking. I dip each one as I take it out of the box so I know they have all had a drink.

I ordered all my chicks from Murray last year and was very happy with them. I am not sure about the reporting part though. :hu

Good luck and enjoy your fuzzy butts!! :ya

l
ETA: During the winter when I had some chicks I made a heat lamp/shield for them. I took a pie plate and cut a hole in the center and inserted the light in so it would reflect the heat. It raised the temp a lot.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Patch of Heaven, for the great advice! :D

What do you need to do if you encounter pasty butt?

Awesome tip about putting a reflector on a lightbulb . . . so about what temp was the room you had the brooder in with the 60 watt bulb?

Fish tanks make wonderful brooders!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oh, also, does everyone use medicated feed to start? You can't with ducks, so I've never used it.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You don't need to use medicated--but I do--baasically to protect the investment. some people vaccinate also, some don't. It's your choice

ETA, before you get the chicks--try out your brooder with a thermometer and see what temps you get. You should have the brooder warmed up beforehand anyways.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
OK, good advice . . . I hadn't thought about pre-warming the brooder!

I will probably go with medicated unless someone can convince me it is a bad idea.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
For lamp wattage, you can trade off between wattage and what height it's hung (as long as you are not running the risk of setting bedding or chicks on fire of course :p). I found it works well to have a fixture that can handle up to 250 watts but play around with what wattage bulb you actually put IN it, and what height it's hung, til you have an appropriate-temperature 'pool' of warmth that is a reasonable size for your number of chicks.

Have fun,

Pat, currently in the throes of trying to stabilize a very very uncooperative homemade incubator and *hoping* to set eggs in it tonight or tomorrow

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks Pat, I figured there would be some playing around with height and bulb wattage. I will have to look for a better lamp, though, as you say.

GOOD LUCK, Pat! I lost about a month's worth of sleep over my first and only attempt at incubating (homemade incubator with no thermostat). I'm sure you at least had the good sense to get a thermostat! Anyway, wishing you success and plenty of rest.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
What fun, DrakeMaiden! We picked up 45 babies last night, so this topic is fresh on my mind, too :) We have ours in the garage in a kids' swimming pool, wood shavings, etc. The heat lamp is centered over the pool but can be adjusted up and down. I had to move it down this morning when I noticed they were huddling quite a bit, then back up this afternoon as it warmed up and they were spreading out. I just try not to put it right by their food and water, but I'm sure you already know that.

Regarding pasty butt, I just do a lot of butt watching the first few days. When I see it building (only occasionally, thankfully), I try to get it wiped off while it's wet. If I lose track of one until the paste has dried, I sometimes even resort to scissors if my finger rubbing method doesn't break it up.

What breeds of chicks did you get?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thank you, me&thegals . . . I will keep a close eye on them, and remember to use scissors if something should go awry.

Since we are just starting with chickens, and since we are getting them mostly for my mom (she is sooooo excited, my dad -- not so much), we are getting what she wants . . . Rhode Island Reds, but I think I might order a few Buff Orpingtons for myself. I also wanted Ameraucanas, but I think I might start small and see how things go . . . or maybe not. I just love the idea of bluegreen eggs. :D However, do all Ameraucanas lay colored eggs or is it just half or less? I need to do some reading on that topic. We will probably only get 10 chicks max.

45! Are you raising a bunch for the freezer? What kinds did you get?

Edited to spell Ameraucanas right. :lol:

Latest posts