Chick Sales

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got some light brahmas from a friend who is getting tiered of hatching. And sold the ones I wanted to sell withen a couple of days. There is a livestock swap this weekend, but now I don't know if I am going to have enuff to take to sell. I have a lady coming Friday to get 24 chicks, and a lady coming Thursday for some-don't know how many. I will see if he has more next week. I sold the light brahmas for 1.50 ea strait run. If I get more I may bump the price a bit.

I haven't sold tons of chicks but I have been going by word of mouth mostly. And 1 ad on a facebook group for animals. If you are on facebook you might see if there are any of those groups in your area. There are about 30 withen a 40 mile radius of me!

Do you have any animal swaps or "hillbilly" auctions in your area? Also our local livestock auction (that they sell cattle sheep and pig) they stop just before the hay and sell eggs. They have been having a few head of chickens and rabbits hear lately. I thought about taking a dozon chicks to see how the do, as non common stuff goes crazy high!

Also does your farmers market alow you to sell chicks? Ours will be starting up soon and I was thinking of trying to take some there.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ya'll must be in a better area for selling chicks than me.
Last year the man at the feed store found out I would be having a sex-link project starting up this spring and he said, what he could do is take all my pullets and only a few cockerals and that way he could move them faster and I'd get the money rather than the hatchery..........Okay, well why that didn't happen??? Here I am now, and yes, I'm out of cockerals, due to our local asian population, but I have SO MANY young pullets, that I"m actually having to be creative and introduce 3 week older chicks with my young ones, to prepare for my next hatch.
Yes......next hatch, but they are not for sale, except if its for someone I know is raising for meat, like my Latin American and Vietnamese customers and they can only have whatever araucanas are hatched out with tails. I'm needing more araucana babies to improve my flock, because I'm determined that pretty much everything with a tail is becoming stew meat by September.
I will sell these pullets, but they going to go up in price a little bit every week.
I have sold straight run $5 for 2 chicks. That was when I just had my RIR project. I never sold my araucanas, unless I knew they were food and had a tail.
When I'm done with my barn, I want extra brooders attached to the rafters, so I can have a few pure bred projects as a side line. I'm wondering if I wouldn't have better luck with pure breeds as opposed to sex-links. IDK.
I tell you what.....I was doing fine, until I lost the monoply. I'm still coming out ahead, but I have more babysitting to do. Plus, I think people come here because they like it here......they often want to talk 'shop' with me and look around.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It sounds like you can sell meat bird pretty easy. That's good. How many towns in your area allow small flocks? 3-6 hens. These are the people that generally want a mix of pure breads and the fancier types. You could also look into the local 4-H clubs.

Getting tired... all I can think of now. :idunno

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I mentioned craigslist to DH and he said 'No.' I forgot about a lady that went missing because of a car sale.....vanished without a trace and the only thing anyone knew was she was negotiating from craigslist. But thanks.
I do have araucanas, but I'm trying to breed out tails. I'm hatching some babies and plan on eating whatever has a tail....male or female. I don't want to let the word out that I have araucanas, until I have a flock I can brag on. Plan on making changes to my breeders by culling real hard this year. Going to have a bit of soup meat too.
I sold 4 chicks yesterday. We have to finish our barn, so I have more room for meat production, so if I can't offload these chicks, I'll have lots of started pullets to sell in a few weeks and some meat. I'm not putting anymore chickens eggs to incubate before that and even when I'm finished the barn, maybe just araucana eggs for my own purpose.
well let me jump in & say this. i sell all sorts of things on craigslist HOWEVER
when i am selling something big (like a used car)
i have a 25auto in my pocket, you really never know who will show up.
there are plenty of odd ducks out there, having said that........
you really never know who will see your ad at the store or at the end of your street either.
i just can't see someone showing up to do anyone harm if your selling baby chicks.
but that's just me

take care
piglett

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with you, piglett. It's hard to imagine anyone "bad" wanting to buy some baby chicks. Oh, and :welcome.

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I'd have to agree with you, piglett. It's hard to imagine anyone "bad" wanting to buy some baby chicks. Oh, and :welcome.
well thankyou , i have 22 young straight run birds. most are buff orpingtons with 2 part english orpingtons also in the coop

oh hey i havn't been to MO for years , how is the weather out there
i have a long lost friend in potosi

thanks
piglett

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Completely understand, but really its not gonna happen. I don't really know much about computers anyway and I did go to craigs list after someone suggested it, and it wasn't very self-explanatory and it doesn't seem as though we have a local craigslist anyway......and with DH refusing, theres not much I'm going to do about it.
All is fine, but I'm not using craig......gonna have to be something else.
I think I'll be out in about 3 weeks. I have connections in various ethnic branches which really like fresh meat and farm animals.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went to the big animal swap today and took some little roosters- just old enuff that they were getting a little comb. And sold them to the hispanics for 3.00 each. And my best friend sold 8 full grown roos for 7.00 each to them also. They didn't want the rest of my bantams though.

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Completely understand, but really its not gonna happen. I don't really know much about computers anyway and I did go to craigs list after someone suggested it, and it wasn't very self-explanatory and it doesn't seem as though we have a local craigslist anyway......and with DH refusing, theres not much I'm going to do about it.
All is fine, but I'm not using craig......gonna have to be something else.
I think I'll be out in about 3 weeks. I have connections in various ethnic branches which really like fresh meat and farm animals.
not really a big deal , there are probably 1000 ways to get the word out that you have the birds that people want.

i'm looking at getting 50 straight run buff orpingtons from a hatchery come June.

i'll see how well i do. i did sell three RiR pullets over the weekend for $20 at a chicken swap

this one was at tractor supply but they have them other places too.

good luck
piglett