Chicken breeding project.

arctally

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a young white leghorn x barred rock roo with the most gorgeous cream colored ghost barring and white iridescence and THE best temperament ever. I plan on crossing him with a cream and blue hen with weak barring, she's a blue EE x barred rock cross. Any guesses what color the chicks will be?
I also have a barred rock X EE (unknown color) roo I might cross into the offspring for stronger barring. I'm going for something similar to the California grey but with more of a smokey blue or creamy coloring, ie: blue, splash, and especially lavender or lemon barred (maybe my buff orpington would have to be involved for that to happen), and hopefully blue eggs. What do you think?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No idea, but good luck! Somewhere online there is a chicken color chart that predicts what color you'll get when crossing other colors. Sorry, I don't have a link. Let us know what you come up with!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Considering both have barring, I'd bet you'd see some with the offspring. I'd think that you would get lots of eggs because of the leghorn genes, but it would probably be olive colored from having EE and BR traits mixed....perhaps slightly lighter in color due to the leghorn ancestery. Normally in any species, a mixed breed is healthier than a purebreed. People like giving things a name, but if you go with it and people ask what kind of chicken it is, I'd just say,"Yes...." If it takes care of your families needs, then its good.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Considering both have barring, I'd bet you'd see some with the offspring. I'd think that you would get lots of eggs because of the leghorn genes, but it would probably be olive colored from having EE and BR traits mixed....perhaps slightly lighter in color due to the leghorn ancestery. Normally in any species, a mixed breed is healthier than a purebreed. People like giving things a name, but if you go with it and people ask what kind of chicken it is, I'd just say,"Yes...." If it takes care of your families needs, then its good.
You could call it the Arctally Beauty, lol

arctally

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Whew! That chicken predictor is complicated! And yet still misses a lot of the patterns you see in oddball crosses lol. Anyway, depending on how I entered it, it predicted either only white, lightly barred or mottled, which is basically what I'm after, or any range of solid blue, black, white and barred/mottled blue, black, or white. So who knows. We'll see what happens. :)

If it works out well and I get silvery or smokey barred birds that lay blue eggs I may steal that name idea (Arctally beauties) lol.

I'll take pictures of the birds I plan to cross when they finish getting their adult feathering. :)

Wish me luck!