Chicken butter?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made a couple more presser cooker chickens for dinner tonight. Those old roosters sure are tender when they come out of the pressure cooker. The left over broth I put in a quart sized jar and stuck in the fridge. After a while it separated and the top layer looks like butter but it's chicken. I'm calling it chicken butter but is it good for cooking with?

IMG_20180702_235755455.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I see you've got in in a storage jar (not canned), but for posterity, I'll comment that broth for canning should be chilled, fat skimmed off, then brought to a boil again before canning. And by "skimmed off" I mean removing a thick chunk like that! I feed it to the chickens.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I made a couple more presser cooker chickens for dinner tonight. Those old roosters sure are tender when they come out of the pressure cooker. The left over broth I put in a quart sized jar and stuck in the fridge. After a while it separated and the top layer looks like butter but it's chicken. I'm calling it chicken butter but is it good for cooking with?

View attachment 7823

It's excellent..and considered a "good" fat for your health. Next time, cool your broth in the fridge in a bowl, then skim off this fat when it solidifies. Place it in a quart or gallon zip loc, smash it flat and freeze it that way. When you want to use it, you just open your bag, break off a piece of the schmaltz and throw it in the pot or pan. Easy to keep, easy to use that way.

It's GREAT in creating a creaminess to potato soups, for making a roux of any kind, for pastries, or for just frying or sauteeing something in. Gives a velvety texture to most anything you add it to.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made fried potatoes with schmaltz the other day - they were so good! It really does add a terrific background flavor to whatever you add it too.