Chicken feather type/texture?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh and on the blue gene. It's a modifier of black which means it works on wheaten and partridge on just the black parts.

Pullet on left is a blue partridge and the other two are normal, but the right one has the moorhead gene that gives a black head. I'd post new picture but it's raining out so I can't take any good ones.

three_chinese_hens_by_seerisil_dbwcleb-fullview.jpg

I finally have a good blue partridge cockerel. I'd thought I'd lost the blue partridge color but one of my hens I thought was regular partridge was obviously a dark blue. I got two blue partridge pullets and a cockerel this year.

And this is what lavender does to partridge.

summer_queen_by_seerisil_dbh2eyd-fullview.jpg

I've been trying to figure out who carries it. So I can attempt to eliminate it. One of my first birds brought it into the flock. As it's recessive, it didn't show up until years later.

Blue and lavender shouldn't ever be mixed as it makes it confusing.

Lavender is also called self blue.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Talk about confusing is "porcelain" (lavender buff) in silkies. It's being called blue cream now because the color named as porcelain would never be accepted by the APA as they have a specific definition for porcelain which is lavender over the mille fleur feather pattern which silkies do not have.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I forgot about that issue in lavender as I dont breed them.

I haven't had any issues in the lavender partridge because they are all from carrier parents and not the lavender to lavender pairings. I'd read something about that being why split blacks were used quite a bit still to help with feather quality.