Chicken Feed Question

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
freemotion said:
I did the same. Get used to the chickens first, then get brave. I would be glad to detail what I do when and if you are ready to be rebellious.... :lol:
I'M FEELING REBELLIOUS!!!!!!

Share woman, share!! :p

edited for spelling
My chickens and turkeys get a mixture of whole oats, barley, and corn that I buy on my trips to Maine. In winter, the mix goes into a hanging feeder that my dad made from a five-gallon pail, similar in design to the ones you can buy, very cool. If they throw too much out, I don't fill it for a couple of days and they search their bedding for food and clean up.

For protein, that is the tricky part. I started with soybean meal since I couldn't find anything else here in my neck of the woods. I would've liked to find field peas, but not to be found here. The soymeal went in a commercial tube feeder, and they balance their own ration (supported by some cool studies.) If anyone wants to switch, please take three weeks to do so, as it takes that long for their crop, a muscle, to develop the strength to handle an all-whole-grain diet after eating ground foods.

There is no change in production. Studies show a dramatically reduced incidence of diseases such as coccidiosis when feeding a whole grain diet. Grains begin to go rancid the moment they are milled in any way, and create free-radicals, which impact the immune system. Those of us who grind our own wheat into flour know this quite well. The stink of store-bought wheat flour is now unbearable. Imagine if that was all you were given to eat!

Of course, I have dishes of oyster shell and grit (in winter when the snow and ice cover the ground for weeks) free choice.

The main feeds need to be divided into only two feed choices, carbohydrates and protein. So all the grains are mixed together, and the higher protein supplement is fed separately.

So for the carbohydrates, strive for at least three different grains. All seeds contain substances in the bran to protect the seed from spoilage and from germinating before conditions are right to support growth. These substances act as anti-nutrients when the seeds are eaten as food, both for birds and for humans. For the birds, variety in the diet overcomes this problem. For humans, soaking or better, lacto-fermenting the grains unlocks the nutrients and prevents imbalances caused by the anti-nutrients.

So if for some reason I have only two grains available, I always soak them for 12-24 hours in water with a glug of whey, or if I don't have whey, then ACV will do. Then I feed on the ground, not in the feeder. Any missed soaked grain will sprout, which is also a wonderful, nutritious food.

And now for more on protein options.....I still have the soy in the feeders, because I still have lots left. The reason I have lots left is that soon after buying five bags (I couldn't get it here and stocked up in Maine where they grow and process it for oil) I learned about the dangers of soy. The meal is roasted, which neutralizes some of the problem substances. Soy is another topic, for more info, do a search on soy on www.westonaprice.org. Meanwhile, back at the farm, I feed a lot of bone scraps from making catfood in the cold, bug-free weather. I also sprout the barley, oats, and BOSS, which dramatically increases the protein levels. In the summer, those that free-range ignore the soy altogether, and in winter, they will get most of their protein from the other sources....meat and bone scraps and sprouted grains. They also get lots of whey, which they ignore in summer. They LOVE milk, but get very little of it. I only lost one quart to souring early on when I was overwhelmed with the milking and the sick kid. Fresh milk sours into GOOD sour milk, still very healthful and usable. The hens loved it. If I baked, they wouldn't have gotten any!

Ok, hope I didn't confuse anyone too much. Re-cap: two choices, mixed grains and a high-protein supplement. Three weeks to change over.

Oh, and for chicks, offer the smaller whole grains by two weeks or so, and watch closely to see when they start to actually eat them, then offer a bit more and a bit more until they are switched over, too. I would give only the smaller grains and maybe cracked corn to smaller birds like bantams and younger chicks. My guineas can't handle the really big corn. It varies from bag to bag as to how big the kernels are.

eta: next project, worm bins in the basement for winter protein!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great input...I can always count on you all to fill in my gaps of knowledge!
New surprise today...but that is (soon to be) another post.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I picked up the mag the other day and thought of all y'all when I read that article!!

Buttercup Chillin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I feed about 50% Feed and 50% mixed grains. My ducks have a bowl of Feed and a bowl of Grain with Nutrional yeast sprinkled on it. I notice that they switch back and forth every few days.

The chickens get their feeder of Feed and a lot of scratch in the morning and again in te evening when I call them back to their yard.

Their grain scratch is parts of 2Oats/1Corn/1Milo/half oiled sunflower seeds. So if I could come up with a protein I could just cut out the Feed.

By the way I give the Ducklings a baby mix of small seeds and the above scratch ground minus the Sunflower seeds. First batch of Ducklings but they are doing great. I also give chicks feed and choice of the baby mix.

Everyone gets greens daily. Romain, cooked mashed green beens or green peas or whatever. Finely cut cucumber peels are a big hit in summer. And I get attacked when I come out with watered down carrot pulp from juicing.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Someone advertised some feed the other day that I'm interested in getting. Says they make it on their farm and it consists of barley, oats, corn and alfalfa ground up together. $10 per 100lbs!!!

I'm going to check it out and may start buying my feed in bulk. I know there is a risk of it molding but I'm sure there are ways to prevent moisture buildup.

I'm very tired of having to buy from SS and getting some bag of brownish-grey stuff with no smell that the chickens pick at because they have nothing else.

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion :thumbsup

Very cool! I am not quite as far along as you. Still have organic store bought feed as free choice in the coop. (50 lb sack lasts 12 birds nearly 2 months)

I feed a high protein mix with their mash:
Which has an apple, or squash or milk/yogurt base where I add the 27% protein mix of Alfalfa meal, fish meal, organic soy, blackjack molasas, kelp and azomite. (Working on getting rid of the organic soy exploring meal worms or dried earth worms or fish meal without the preservatives.

Twice a day they get a serving of soaked to just sprouted, Winter wheat, oats and black oil sunflower seeds also some times clover sprouts too. Of course free choice oyster and grit too.
(They also get the plants soil worms and all from the salad greens we grow year round.)

I am working on getting field peas and flax in the mix and a better protein than soy.

Wifezilla, try Quinoa! Commercial USA production is in Colorado!! (Vast majority on the market is imported though.)

on