Chicken Mash

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
shhhhhh---don't say that too loud or my DH will hear you!!!!

for now, it sits at 12...until spring
My Hub put a weird face and just said, " too much to do at the same time" ,when I said that my best friend and church-buddy as my grandson called her, was taking me to visit one of her friends that will willingly let me have a goat,lol. He does a lot, have to give him that. Still he needs to built a small coop for the roo for the winter, put up the greenhouse, a metal shed he has been trying to complete in 2 years. We started late at "farming"? We are both on the 60's an have no equipment or money. He has not worked since Feb, so all is on my pension as it goes thin many times. But unlike him, I have a provider who watches over. I have developed a great respect and appreciation for people that have done this for a longer time. You are all my inspiration! Thank you!

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In chicken math I only have a few. 15 in large fowl pen and 73 in silkie pens.

I have several on the cull list after breeding is done.
I can go to TSC or FFH and always look at the chicks and want to play with them but never bring any home. I just experienced my tiny hen sit on 4 eggs and it was too precious. Now, that might happen every spring or summer,lol

However, caught this one today giving his all to crow. He is about 7wks old, hatched July's 2nd. I have a boy,lol

20220827_142101.jpg
Here is real mom and dad ( he is a surrogated peep) Her sister sat on her 4 eggs:

20220811_133006.jpg
And yes, there is a chair everywhere,lol The one in the run, they have never gotten on it ever. They know mama sits there to give them treats,lol

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hadn't really messed with the teenagers for the last month. I thought there were 2 blue partridge cockerels and one pullet. It's 2 pullets and a cockerel. They are 16-17 weeks old now. About half the size of adults. They look bigger than they are because of fluff. They weigh about a pound.

Girls look like adults and the boys are getting their big boy feathers in now. They won't lay until spring. Non-hatchery silkies are slow maturing. Usually 9 months for spring hatched pullets but I've had it take longer. Then there are the evil ones who go broody  before they ever lay.

Boys are just as slow. They don't normally even think about hens until well over 7 months and many times it's longer.

Some peoples lines may mature little earlier but 7 months is usually a minimum. I can almost get that from fall hatched birds because of the lengthening days.

20220827_113519.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Silkies are a very pretty breed. I just would not have them. I think they cannot see. I also not crazy about feathered legs. I see pictures and videos and all chickens are so clean. Mine are slobs, they are always eating something and walking in anything,lol. Today, my 2 leghorns were eating whiskey berries. They looked like they had killed something,lol. I always wear rundown clothes to go outside. Thank God for church that I can wear decent clothes and make up lol

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No they can't see well. Which is why I have a courtyard that their pens open into so they can "free range" there. I just change which pen is open. Usually I have fencing dividing it in half but the puppy is using it right now.

Silkies know they cant see and learn to dunk their heads in water. I use water cups in summer because the water lasts longer and stays cleaner. Some hens will bill the water out and mix it up into mud. Then I get this.

Screenshot_20220827-190330_Gallery.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Stil
No they can't see well. Which is why I have a courtyard that their pens open into so they can "free range" there. I just change which pen is open. Usually I have fencing dividing it in half but the puppy is using it right now.

Silkies know they cant see and learn to dunk their heads in water. I use water cups in summer because the water lasts longer and stays cleaner. Some hens will bill the water out and mix it up into mud. Then I get this.

View attachment 20074
Still cute!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

View attachment 20074

punk rocker!