1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out this member patch of earth- Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Chicken Mites

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by tortoise, May 5, 2017.

1. May 6, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

I'm sorry you had that experience. :( When I was grooming at the vet clinic, I bathed a few cats that accidentally got the dog's flea treatment. I always felt bad for the owners, they felt terrible over the mix-up.

Beekissed likes this.
  2. May 13, 2017
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

I second the sulfar. Sulfar is a great mineral! It cures just about anything. I have used it for mange, ear mites, and once when a chicken was molting and i thought it was sick. :D

If i thought they had worms i might give sulfar a shot for that too.... but in small doses

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  3. Jun 26, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

DH took the roosters out and caged them (thank god! I hate that mean rooster!). He caught a hen and looked her over. Feathers are broken and he didn't notice mites. I'm hoping they're naked-backed from overbreeding. Maybe the DE is working? I will have to try to catch and inspect. *I* have gotten chicken mites on me when in the barn, so I know they're out there. I doubt we can get rid of the mites completely, but I don't want so many that the chickens are miserable.

Beekissed likes this.
  4. Jun 26, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Sulfur powder is good for mites if the DE isn't working. You need you a chicken sling so that looking your birds over is a breeze! ;)

One of ladies on TEG finally made one out of a cloth grocery bag or some such she had and hung it up, said it revolutionized her chicken life.

Her post:

I love mine! :D

100_5504.jpg 100_5500.jpg

sumi likes this.
  5. Jun 26, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Haha, does that sling CATCH them for me? :lol: I'm gonna worry about THAT first! :gig

6. Jun 26, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

That's easy! Just lift them off the roost at night. Of course, if you have a big barn with chickens roosting everywhere, that becomes a tad more difficult. :D

I have a light in my coop and a work surface, so I just slip them in the sling, work them over, slip them out and back on the roosts. They are so calm with this sling they don't even know what I did before they are back with their chums.

tortoise likes this.
  7. Jun 26, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Ooo, never thought of that! They're in a pen and the older hens roost. Not enough space for the juveniles to roost. One of the things I can tend to now that the roosters are out!

THANK YOU!

Beekissed likes this.
  8. Jun 26, 2017
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

Yes. Picking them off the roost is easiest, but a soft trout net works well for catching them

9. Jun 27, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

I caught a chicken today! In daylight. She is a bit lame and badly pecked. I put her in a cage, we'll see if she survives. BUT I CAUGHT A CHICKEN!

I also caught a wild songbird today. It was on my deck and not flying right. I picked it up and put it in a tree. It wasn't in the area later.

sumi and Hinotori like this.
  10. Jun 27, 2017
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

Yay! Lol! My husband has a leg grabber on a long pole. He catches chickens and turkeys. I can't catch any of them. If they need to be caught, they wait til he gets home. (they rarely need to be caught, thank goodness)