Chicken molting?!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So the last couple days there has been a fair amount of feathers in the coop. I know that my 2 Polish did a light molt at the beginning of Dec-I believe it was because our fall and early winter were so warm and mild.

Today one of Brahmas come out for their daily snack of veggies and quite a few neck feathers are missing, some on her sides and some on her feet. She is 10 months old. Everyone is laying pretty good, not counting the Polish, not as much but it has been cold and still gets dark early here. I picked her up and checked her for lice--just on the off chance but saw none. She does have a TON of pin feathers coming on in her neck and body. She is not the bottom of the pecking order--the Polish are :) She eats, drinks and yells at me very loudly for attention--she was in the nesting box when I came out with snacks and jumped down to eat, I call her Big Bertha-though her name is Rebekkah! Could she be molting?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If she is, is there anything that I need to do special--I mean I don't think that they typically molt in the winter. I plan on giving her some extra protein and making sure they have enough straw in the coop but other than that I am at a loss. I wouldn't be too worried but next week we have a couple days where the highs will be below 0

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So the last couple days there has been a fair amount of feathers in the coop. I know that my 2 Polish did a light molt at the beginning of Dec-I believe it was because our fall and early winter were so warm and mild.

Today one of Brahmas come out for their daily snack of veggies and quite a few neck feathers are missing, some on her sides and some on her feet. She is 10 months old. Everyone is laying pretty good, not counting the Polish, not as much but it has been cold and still gets dark early here. I picked her up and checked her for lice--just on the off chance but saw none. She does have a TON of pin feathers coming on in her neck and body. She is not the bottom of the pecking order--the Polish are :) She eats, drinks and yells at me very loudly for attention--she was in the nesting box when I came out with snacks and jumped down to eat, I call her Big Bertha-though her name is Rebekkah! Could she be molting?
Yes,
I had been buying Kalmbach chicken feed from chewy, they make one called https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/product/full-plume-feathering-feed/
It has a higher protein and the same everything else as their layer pellets, I give it during molting and winter

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most likely. My brahmas always molt late. Just give her some 22% feed and hope for the best LOL!
22% feed? The highest we have at the feed store is 20% (which I use daily all season) and it is 10 days for shipping anything higher. Ugh

Extra eggs, tuna and some mealworms I guess. Silky silly bird

Last edited:

Latest posts