Chicken question and update

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We built our coop and run in a shady spot next to the house. Recently I read that chickens need a minimum number of hours of daylight for optimal egg laying. Does that mean direct sunlight or is the shady light suitable? I really don't want to move this thing.

The coop is functional but it's not done yet. I will be adding a corrugated roof and the whole coop with get white trim boards added on the corners and around doors and windows, and the walls will be painted a sage green. And if my wife has her way with it, there will be a porch added and decor to make it look like a General Store. It's a good thing I :love her and want to make all her dreams come true. That said, I will be posting pics soon.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My understanding is that it's more related to the length of daylight hours more than actual direct sunlight. Like the longer days of summer vs. the shorter days of winter.

I want a coop like yours - it sounds like it's gonna be really nice!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I run an extension cord to the coop and hang an aluminum shielded drop light (auto clamp on) plugged into a timer to lengthen the days in winter so they will lay. If they are molting, I don't turn the lights on, but let them molt and feed them extra protein to help with their feathers. Then I turn on the lights. If you do this, be sure to light up the coop in the mornings instead of in the evening. The reason for that is they can wake up to sudden light and be fine. But if they are scratching around, eating and doing what chickens do and the lights go off, they are confused and can't find their roost.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, you are better off putting it in the shade to help negate summer heat. Chickens have a harder time with heat than they do with cold. Make sure they have good ventilation too. Even summer nights can get too hot.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Poultry science has found that it is actually the length of Night that controls egg laying. They have also found that It does not need to be a bright light to convince a chicken that the night is over. Visuize the rooster crowing at the crack of dawn. The ideal of having the day lenthened in the morning. Chickens were shocked at sudden darkness and often skipped a day of laying afterward.
Ditto on shade and venting, thickens produce a lot of body heat. I live in the meat bird belt and if we should lose power in the summer you can hear the generators turn over to power the fans that prevent Southern baked chicken!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have my coops shaded because even up here in the summer it can get hot for them. There are spots in the pens where the sun can get to so they can sunbathe as they wish when we actually have sun.

My silkies don't go to bed until it's almost to dark to see, and are up when they can barely see. They do not hang out in the darker coop unless the chicks are complaining to much, then the broody will take them inside.

This last winter, I gave the birds light in morning and evening. It didn't seem to matter what time the light went off in the evening. When it started getting dark outside, the hens went to bed up on the roosts. I think the evening light just bothered them more than anything. This coming winter I'll have the light set to just come on in the morning.

Latest posts