Chicken Question

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have 6 pullets at our house. I am pleased with most of them as they are docile enough to handle pretty easily after catching. The problem is that one is an Andulusian. She's a beautiful gal but I'm not sure I want a laying hen that I can't touch much less pick up. I understand that, that is the way her breed is, flighty, and if I could do it over, I would not choose her breed. Anyway, would you sell this type of chook or keep her since you've already invested the time and money in her. She is around 7 weeks old, fully feathered and has been in the coop since day one.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Same here! I can't point at any chicken in my flock that I can easily pick up and that won't make a big fuss like I'm killing her! And I have several breeds, so its not breed exclusive. If they do well, lay eggs, behave well and aren't a general nuisance, I keep them around. :)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I'll take that Andulusian if you wanna rehome her. :D
We have 6 New Hamshire Reds. Half are what you could almost call cuddly, as they LOVE to be picked up and petted. The other 3 act like your killing them when you try to pick them up. ;)

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe, I'm just spoiled as mine initially squack like you are intending doom and gloom for them but then settle down. With her, I've touched her 3 times the entire time I've had her. I guess my only real issue with her other than not being able to catch or touch her is that she leads the rest astray when I let them forage in the garden. She has a particular penchant for eating my foot high corn stalks.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Seven weeks old is too early to give up on taming her. I don't handle my hens much at all, but there is usually one in each batch that attaches to me and will hop up for some attention. My shyest scaredy-cat was at least a year old when she discovered that when I work in the garden, I am a great source of worms. Three worms later, she was my shadow. That was last fall. She comes running any time she spots me.

Food! Animals will work for food! (Hubby's, too.... :D)

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a 16 week old Brown Leghorn (Piper Cub) that is very flighty. She used to be much worse but is calming down as she grows. I don't force touching her and she has gotten more friendly over time. I also think she is calmer because the other breeds she is with are calm. I would just wait and give your Andalusian a chance.

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
I have 2 blue andalusions. One is friendly (can you believe it is the roo??) the other is not, however when we come with treats guess who is pushing the others out of the way?? Funny thing is she will let my oldest son pick her up and put her on his shoulder like a parrot or something. :lol: I should try and post a picture.

I think I would keep her, but I am new to chickens.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I would keep her.

Almost all chickens can be tamed down to some degree. Even the snooty ones like my Cuckoo Maran, Her Royal Highness Elizabeth.

Latest posts