Chicken Question

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
I have 6 pullets at our house. I am pleased with most of them as they are docile enough to handle pretty easily after catching. The problem is that one is an Andulusian. She's a beautiful gal but I'm not sure I want a laying hen that I can't touch much less pick up. I understand that, that is the way her breed is, flighty, and if I could do it over, I would not choose her breed. Anyway, would you sell this type of chook or keep her since you've already invested the time and money in her. She is around 7 weeks old, fully feathered and has been in the coop since day one.
If all others are good to you to handle and this one isn't and you don't truly care to fight with a hard to handle hen, then get rid of her.

I have about 300 chickens...for me they aren't handled like pets or anything, they all more or less hate us..HA HA HA HA...and want no picking up and all.

BUT if you don't like this chicken, ditch it and make your money back. Never do you need to worry over a chicken. Cause there are great ones that are easily handled to make your life easier and you will probably get more that fit into your style of life better than this one flighty bird.

Put a high price on her, make back your money cause someone will definitely want to buy her.

hope that helps ya.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll keep her. It isn't her fault that I foolishly chose a breed that was pretty but didn't look into breed characteristics. If I get any more in the future, I'll stick with one of the other breeds I have. The others are 2 "Ameracauna" (feed store kind but do seem to have most of the breed characteristics, somewhat friendly), 1 Faverolle (she seems to like the other girls but doesn't really freak out if she's alone either), 1 Delaware (very friendly, one of the only gals that will let my kids touch her) and last but not least my Dominique (also very friendly and is the other one that my kids can touch... occassionally). I'm very fond of the looks of the Delaware and the temperment. If I were going into breeding, that's probably the breed I'd go with but, at the moment, I just want a colorful egg basket.

Latest posts