Chicken question

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I posted this on BYC, only got one response. What do you guys think.
We were recently put in an awkward position. My farrier knows we slaughter our own chickens, She had some extra roos that she wanted gone, and figured since we knew how.... Any ways, we told her we didn't do it for fun, and we didn't really want to, --long story short--I have her two roos here.

I don't really want to do them in. One is a beautiful cubalayan, and the other IDK what he is but he's beautiful. Problem one. We have too many roos ourselves (just processed three of our own). Problem two. she just got done giving them antibiotics b/c her flock had the respiratory disease. I have the birds in isolation.

So my question is, if I chose to give them away or sell them, would they infect the flock of their future home? Or are they now carriers of the virus that they had.

I can't keep them, and I will process them if I have to. But they are beautiful and friendly. They might be great for someone else, but I don't want to give them away if they will make other chickens sick.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
OOOooooo, sticky one....... :/ If it were me, pretty or no, the birds would be processed and given to the dogs.

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
#1-Yes-probably

#2-Yes-probably

If you don't know what they had you can't be sure otherwise.

Cull them now before you name them. Those Roos are beautiful for a reason-So suckers like us won't kill them.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks guys. That's kinda the way i was thinking. But my bleeding heart dd and hubby,wanted to find out if they could be rehomed. i told him I wouldn't want to get anyones elses flock sick. They sure are pretty. But, yes, I think the dogs and cats will get a fest tomorrow. i will have to do this without hubby's or the kids help. They won't be happy. :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I agree with everything said.

If you don't know their background and what sickness they truly might have, best to cull them.

Sad situation I know....and while we never enjoy doing it, we all know it is best.