Chicken question

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know I should probably go to the BYC for this question, but that one goes so fast and I don't usually get as nice answers there as I do here..... so.....

Ya'll know I lost most of my flock to my dog. Now I have 3 (really 2 1/2 'cause that black one just won't walk, she just sits there all day)
anyway, I've decided to just sell the remaining 8 week old chicks and start over with babies. FarmerDenise asked me of FB why not just add some babies to these 8 week olds. She's not on FB or here right now, and since I'm have not one bit of patience, I'll ask ya'll.

can I put new babies with these 8 week olds and the babies not get picked on?

fancyfeet.jpg

bufforp.jpg

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I introduced my new chicks to my flock through a screen. I put the babies in a chicken tractor in the run of the big chickens, then put them back in their own areas at night. After 2 days, I propped up one end of the tractor so the little ones could go in and out, but not the big ones. It worked well, and a week later they are all getting along fine. They all sleep together, and spend the day together in the yard, and I haven't seen any evidence of picking.

I did give my older girls a stern lecture about the importance of 'being nice, or being soup' before the whole thing.

Good luck with yours.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
that's a good idea.

I've heard the stearn talking to works along with the waving a stew pot at them.

might try that, thanks!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Day-old chicks put in with 8-wk old ones are likely to get pecked to death, IMHO. 1-2 week old chicks, probably also. You can TRY it, but I sure wouldn't, personally.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Day-old chicks put in with 8-wk old ones are likely to get pecked to death, IMHO. 1-2 week old chicks, probably also. You can TRY it, but I sure wouldn't, personally.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
that's what I'm afraid of.
:(

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I agree with Pat, but also like the slow intro idea. You can keep an eye on things, and if it looks ugly, you can move them out. Just like bringing home a new dog to be 'friends' with the one you've got. Slow introductions work wonders and nobody feels slighted. Of course, the stew pot idea thrown in for good measure is also a good call....I threatened my roo Sam the other day, shut him right up! :lol:

Good luck hun, I'm thinkin of you!!! :hugs

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No, you should not put day olds in with them. If you can fix up a separate brooder area where they can still see each other, you could eventually integrate them.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I also keep the babies seperate from the older ones. I have a chick pen that I keep them in, until they feather out. Then when I feel like hanging out with them, I introduce them to the bigger ones. The minute things get ugly I interfere and take the little ones back out. I also provide the little ones hiding places that the big ones cannot get to. I have used metal milk crates, and fencing with small openings. I also feed and water the little ones in those protected areas. Eventually everyone is more or less the same size and just the usual juggling for top or bottom hen position occurs.

I find it easier to mingle them, when they have lots of space, like the whole field, opposed to the chicken yard. Unfortunately, we have to keep them all in the chicken yard all summer, or we wouldn't have any produce for us to eat or sell :rolleyes:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I've never had chicks more than two weeks apart in age but I've still kept them separate just in case.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, I think I've decided to just buy 8-9 week old chicks this week-end. A group of people from BYC is having a poultry swap this Saturday not far from me. So excited! I'm meeting some ladies there and we're going to get some chicks at the auction they're having.

can't wait. I know for sure they will have 9 week old Buff Orps, so if nothing else, I'll for sure have those.