Chicken question...........

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
My new laying hens are 2 weeks old today. Is it to soon to start giving them meat scraps or some fresh greens to munch on?
I have a really nice piece of pork fat left over from dinner last night, and I hate to just toss it out.

maf8009

Power Conserver
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
My new laying hens are 2 weeks old today. Is it to soon to start giving them meat scraps or some fresh greens to munch on?
I have a really nice piece of pork fat left over from dinner last night, and I hate to just toss it out.

Well would not hurt them.. but chick feed is best for first 6 weeks/10 weeks or so... real "outdoor" chicks are eating bugs and grass... I suppose it wont hurt... I would keep chick feed as main food for a while longer. good luck/

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The hens would give it to them....but without her urging, they may not eat all the pork fat and it could spoil. I'd start a bag in the freezer and wait until they are a bit older.

I give mine chopped grass and dandelion leaves and flowers...they love the yellow petals! very early. You can also give them a hunk of sod with the grass growing right out of it. That will teach them to free range. But they don't need much teaching. Better to say it will keep them occupied and give them something to pick and scratch besides each other.

kimlove2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you do decide to supplement their chick feed, might I suggest also giving them some sand/small pebbles for grit? Since they don't have teeth, the grit helps them to break down the food particles into smaller bits that are easier for them to digest. just put a bit into a small dish. They will know what to do with it! ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Ummm, all our chickens get scraps from the beginning. And whole grains at 3 weeks :hide
I mean, how in the world do the ones that free range with mommy in summer survive on the bugs and grass she feeds them in addition to the starter in the tray?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm in the "Mama knows best" camp.

My broodies are heavy foragers and teach the chicks the same. At about 2-3 days old they are right in there picking and scratching. I have only one raised to adulthood so far but believe me, he's a tough and independent and healthy guy. Very well grown. Too bad I don't need another roo, never mind a mutt one. He's actually surpassing my older flock Roos.

And the chicks are doing quite well. I give them a bit of starter and scratch but they mostly ignore it. They couldn't eat a large quantity of fat on their own, so depending on how many chicks, I'd probably feed some and freeze the rest. Imagine the chicky-football game you could get going though. ;)