Chicken Tractor & New Baby Pics!! ++

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I finally got DH to move my chicken tractor he built me a year or so ago. DS and I gave it a new coat of paint,..it was an awful shade of green,..so we painted it a nice sky blue. We got it all set up and moved my new babies in,..10 little white silkies! :D Aren't they sooo cute???
743_004.jpg

743_005.jpg

743_006.jpg

I know everyone on here is talking about their gardens,...only thing mine is growing is chickens!!!:lol: I have to put a fence up around my raised bed when I get around to planting,...:rolleyes:

743_014.jpg

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Your silkies are adorable!
What are the dimensions of the chicken tractor?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oh, they are cute!!! I want some silkies.....they are soooo pretty!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
Thanks everyone! The dimensions of the tractor are 4' x 8',...the house part is 2' x 4' . It is VERY heavy because my DH just used what was laying around to build it,..( I would HIGHLY recommend if you are building one to use lightweight materials. Like for instance use 2"x2" s instead of 2"x4"s,..;) ) The silkies are adorable,..this is my first bunch. I bought them from a girl at our local flea market and of course they are a straight run,..so I bought 10. I am hoping to have 4 hens and 1 roo. So far I think I have 3 roos,...Thats okay though,...when I make my cuts may the best roo win,..:D

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
VickiLynn said:
Thanks everyone! The dimensions of the tractor are 4' x 8',...the house part is 2' x 4' . It is VERY heavy because my DH just used what was laying around to build it,..( I would HIGHLY recommend if you are building one to use lightweight materials. Like for instance use 2"x2" s instead of 2"x4"s,..;) ) The silkies are adorable,..this is my first bunch. I bought them from a girl at our local flea market and of course they are a straight run,..so I bought 10. I am hoping to have 4 hens and 1 roo. So far I think I have 3 roos,...Thats okay though,...when I make my cuts may the best roo win,..:D
I understand about the weight....but do you get any wind?

If you have wind like we do in SD, heavy might not be such a bad idea!

Looks nice, by the way.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just wanted to chime in with the Silkie love. have to say that my little Silkie roo Hansel is probably my favorite chicken. he's the CUTEST thing i've ever seen and he's totally huggable. he picked a fight with my big Brahma roo the other day and had to spend some time in the house until his comb stopped bleeding, so i had to do the unthinkable: i had to put a diaper on a chicken! he looked SO mortified!

p1020234.jpg
p1020233.jpg

(next time i have to remember not to photograph a gray chicken on a black chair...)

i got my Silkies to be incubators, but i fell in love. Hansel's girlfriend Gretel is sitting on her first nest right now. she's only 7 months old and has already gone broody! i thought she'd loose interest, but we're a week in and so far so good. she's sitting on 4 eggs of unknown parentage from my standard birds and 3 of her own. can't wait to see what happens!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everybody!

Scott,..so glad you to hear from you! Thanks for the compliment by the way! As far as the wind goes,..we don't get real high winds due to us being right in between the mountains,everything just kind of blows over top of us,.....but you are right the weight would be better for that reason. :D

BB,..I LOVE your roo! He is sooo handsome! He just looks so adorable in that diaper,..:love See, I got my silkies for the incubator thing,..but I can see it is going to be like Doritos,..you can't just have one,...or two,..or three,....or etc.,.. They are just lttle puff balls,...addictive puff balls. :)

Latest posts