Chickens and hookworms!!! Please help!

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have three laying hens in our backyard and we just found out our new puppy has hookworms. They share the backyard and I was wondering if the chickens can get hookworms from the dog feces and if so, does it affect their eggs? I know chickens can get hookworms in general, just really need to know if it will get into their eggs? We are now picking all dog droppings in the yard so the chickens have only been. Exposed to it for a week until we found out.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can only tell you my experiences with it. My dogs and free range chickens consume each others feces and have done so for the past 6 years. I'm sure, in that time, my dogs had worms now and again...they always do even when treated. Can't get 'em all. I've never seen any worms in the chicken's feces, nor the dog's for that matter. Nor have I ever had any worms in the eggs.

I'd say a chicken would have to really be infested with intestinal parasites before they actually gravitated to the oviduct and into the egg while it was forming.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The only way to get hookworms is actually from the soil. They penetrate the skin to enter. And, the conditions have to be right for the eggs to hatch.