Chickens delayed again

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cackle just called to let me know that they didn't have the Partridge Rocks for my order for the second week in a row. They wanted to know if I wanted to delay again or get a refund or replacement. I originally wanted them because I read somewhere that Partridge Rocks are more likely to go broody. I told them to delay, but now I'm having second thoughts. The lady on the phone said they are having troubles getting their Partridge Rocks to hatch this year for some reason. Do I really want this years batch if they're having a hard time hatching? What do you think?

This is what the order was:

15 BLACK SEX LINK PULLETS
5 RED STAR SEX LINK PULLETS
5 EASTER EGG PULLETS
5 PARTRIDGE ROCK PULLETS
2 PARTRIDGE ROCK COCKERELS
5 TURKEN "NAKED NECKS" STRAIGHT RUN

The Red Star, Easter Egg, and Turkens are my older children's chickens that they picked out. The Partridge rocks are technically my youngest's chickens, but he's only 3 so I get to pick what I want for him :p

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did have a Partridge Rock go broody and raise chicks. In fact that is the only standard breed I personally have had to go broody. I would be wary of them though if they are having hatching problems. If you really want broody hens get some bantams. If you raise them together with the standard size they should all get along.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Silkie's are notorious brooders. I raise my bantams with the standards. The only problem I come across, is that I have one tiny hen and the roo is a bit big for her. Fortunately, he favors my Rhode Island Red. Buff Orpingtons are also supposed to be good broody hens and they are very friendly. Might be a good choice for a 3 year old. My BO loves to come and hop up on my lap. She seems to like being picked up. The ones I have had in the past did also. Mine did go broody last year and raised our meat birds for us.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really wanted to have PRs for a long time. Pretty birds. Now I have 2 hens. The older one came from keljonma and may have been broody once. The more I read, the more I don't see them as being the best choice for laying or for broodiness, though.

I got large cochins for brooders. (Still too young to know, though.) My best and only broody so far has been a Buff Orpington. She went broody twice last year and is brooding right now on 10 eggs. :D

It really can just come down to the hen and what she wants to do. LOL Stick with a heritage breed, though, as your best chance for that broody tendency.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I had one of my four Buff Orps go super-broody last summer, and one of my two Dominiques raised six chicks for me. None of my "Americauna's" from Cackle went broody, and I've had some of them three years now.

Cackle's catalog says that Turkens go broody, doesn't it? I was thinking of Turkens for this year for meaties. No plucking the necks!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started out with Partridge rocks a couple a years ago. I purchased mine from Murray McMurray,..I bought 25. I can say I am down to only 4 hens now, which I regret. I sold the most of them to have a mixed flock,..I thought they would be "prettier" to have a flock of differnet colors (stupid :rolleyes: ). I will say I have had the oppurtunity to own many different breeds of chickens,..but none to me could match my partridge rocks. The hens are excellent layers and very cold hardy,..also I had many go broody in the first year. The roosters I had were mean,..but I have been told it is the hatchery stock of murray,..When I replace my flock next time,..it will be Partridge rocks only,...okay, okay, maybe an Easter Egger or two,..they are sweathearts! BUT if the hatchery is having a hard time hatching any,..maybe this isn't the stock you want. Gor for another breed or go to another hatchery. Good luck!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i got my silkies to be walking incubators. they are in with my 20 standard breeds and have no problem holding their own. my silkie pullet, Gretel, is better capable of looking after herself than my EE pullets who spend all their time hiding from the boys. my silkie cockerel, Hansel, is the best little rooster-in-training i have EVER seen. he is gentlemanly with the ladies, protects them if the Big Boys get too frisky, and is the cutest little cuddlebug.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
All my BO's have gone broody, but it's more like a 9-5 job, with breaks and regular lunches. They sit in the nest box all day, unless I put treats in the coop, then they hop out. And at night they like to roost with all the other chickens. Meanwhile, they aren't laying any eggs, Grr!

I'm looking into Dorkings for broodies. I've read they are great.