Chickens for meat

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wanted to try either the Freedom Rangers or Meyer's broilers, but didn't have the money or separate coop space this year. What I did buy was a mixed flock of straight run chicks from a local farm. Mostly buff orps, black australorps, rhode island reds, and barred rocks. I ended up very rooster-heavy. I hope to breed the BO, RIR, and BR myself next year, so I am keeping one roo each of those breeds and processing the rest.

I wanted to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that I wasn't eating late-blooming pullets, so I waited until they were about 16 weeks old to begin. From an elderly gentleman's advice I once received, I started out putting them up in a small cage for several days or a bit longer to prevent them being tough. However, I've slaughtered a few who became really obnoxious while still free ranging.

I'm pretty satisfied with the meat. So far I've used it for chicken and dumplings, soups, stews, curries, etc. I haven't tried barbecuing or frying any of it (I don't think) but it's been good. Flavor has been great. The texture of one or two I've had to chew, but none have been tough. I don't know how much I spent in feed to raise them compared to broilers but ... It's got me thinking. I'm planning to raise chickens next year from my own eggs anyway. If I save the cost of buying, and let them range with the older chickens, I don't think it's going to be any more expensive.

I'll have to raise up extra roos anyway. I did my very best to sex this lot, and chose two roos on purpose, but my overall accuracy was pitiful, LOL. So in order to get more layers next year, I'm going to end up with roos. I wasn't wong on the sex of any of them from a couple months though, so next year I will process much earlier, if it still gives me good size.

My RIR is a monster anyway, and my BO roos are very heavy-bodied. Since I'm choosing the best to breed from (size-wise) I hope for good meaty cockerels next year. I mat just bypass the broilers again and save the $$$.

Latest posts