Chickens for meat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What breeds do you recommend?
Well, if you don't want the CX, my White Rocks seem like a very meaty, heavy breed. I'm thinking the roos of this breed would be appropriate to raise for meat production.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I DO think how you raise your birds make an incredible difference. Usually I go for the Cornish X Rock or the Slow Grow Cornish X Rock from Welp hatchery . I really appreciate their rate of growth, feed conversion rates and meatiness when you raise them right with plenty of exercise, fresh air and sunshine.

I can appreciate not wanting to support the Frankenbird gene factory too however. If I was going to raise ANY standard breed of bird for meat it would be the Delaware which USED to be the go to meat bird of choice. I have never actually raised any of these for meat as of yet. In my area they seem hard to come by. Brahmas are also a historically significant meat breed. Of breeds that I have raised that do pretty well the Ameraucana seems to finish into a pretty nice little bird most of the time.

The most TASTY chicken meat is supposed to come from a Dorking crossed with an Orpington rooster. I have not had a chance to try that yet however.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. DH is still wants to do CXs, but maybe we'll do a combo. I was hoping to buy from our local hachery, but they don't have Delawares. They do have White Rocks, and a few of the others, so I'll see. They also sell an "assorted heavies" mix which does not include CX, so that might be a good way to try out some different types.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Thanks for all the tips. DH is still wants to do CXs, but maybe we'll do a combo. I was hoping to buy from our local hachery, but they don't have Delawares. They do have White Rocks, and a few of the others, so I'll see. They also sell an "assorted heavies" mix which does not include CX, so that might be a good way to try out some different types.
Kate...how local is the hatchery? I am in SE INdiana...and would like to get another round of birds for fall...but I know we cant have them shipped right now due to the heat. Is the hatchery close enough to drive in for pickups??

bjmstahl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
justusnak,

Mt. Healthy Hatchery is on the west side of Cincinnati on Winton Road. Depending on where you are in SE Indiana it would be less than an hour's drive.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I raise Cornish X and can't imagine raising any other breed for meat. The CX get a bad rap, like they die easily, they get crimples, they don't free-range, etc. In my experience, this is NOT true, and if it is true for some birds, it's because of bad management.

My CX go outside at 3-4 weeks and start in tractor-type pens. Then, about a week or two later, they get to free range with the rest of the chickens. They are on a restricted diet, and they free-range just as well as my other chickens. They run (yes, run) all around chasing bugs and being chickens. They poop more than other chickens, but they're not frankenchickens.

My sister purchased freedom rangers from a local farmer and was very disappointed in them. The birds were about 5 lbs but she said she was only able to eek out 2 meals per bird vs the three large meals from a same weight CX.

For me, CX are the best because they have the best feed conversion of any other breed, and they grow out the fastest. I dont' have the time or money to pour into heritage breed chickens who won't yield nearly as much meat as the CX.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't blame anyone for wanting to raise XBirds. They definitely have their strengths. Feed conversion ratio and rapid growth primarily both of which equal money.

But I also respect anyone's wishes to not raise them, as they definitely have their VERY well documented weaknesses (and the scientific literature on them is rife with examples).

It depends on what is important to you and what your personal priorities are.

This is a hybrid (not a breed, BTW) created for the commercial meat bird industry, developed based on that system's priorities. Humane treatment of animals isn't exactly one of its highest.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You are SO correct Buster!

Meat birds (Cornish, Delaware, Orpington, Cochin, Jersey Giants, White Rocks, Brahamas .....) are ALL the result of many, many years of careful selection and breeding programs. Read up on the history behind chicken breeds. Back in the day, the work was carried on by specialized poultry farmers. The reason they did it way back then? MORE money!

Now days commercial poultry producers have gone completely haywire!! It is make money NO MATTER the other costs. I don't wish to support that either.

I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater however.

Why not take advantage of the research, all of the years of selection and breeding. If you have the space there is absolutely NOTHING that prevents you from making those hybrid crosses at home.

Some day I hope to have the space to do this. I hope to keep a small blooded flock of Cornish, and a similar flock of Delawares, White Rocks, Buff Orpingtons and Dorkings. I want to try out my OWN combinations till I have it right. I want to be able to raise my OWN meat birds and make them the tastiest ever. Right now I just do not have space for that - so I buy commercial. I do try to buy from a smaller hatchery. Hopefully that will give me at least better odds, of NOT supporting those big poultry businesses.

Speaking of which .... I need to give Welps a call this morning! Time to order some meaties for the year.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We did the broilers from Meyers last year as well. Ordered them in late september and let them free range in a tractor that was moved every day to fresh grass. We only fed them 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off. I fed them when I got up in the morning after moving the tractor. Then in the afternoon, about 3pm or so I gave them fresh water and more food and that was it until the next morning. I had 30 in a tractor. By doing it in cooler weather I had NO problems with heat related deaths. We butchered ours 6 at a time the week of Thanksgiving. I lost 2 birds, one to a predator (the chicken got out under the edge of the tractor and something got it) and when they were about 2 weeks old we lost one due to piling (got smothered).

When we butchered them we pulled out the 6 we wanted to do 24 hrs ahead of time and put them in a separate smaller tractor and gave them water and grass only. When we butchered them they were full of grass.....I think it is how you raise them if you do cornish x's. If you give them ample space to move and only feed 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off they will grow more slowly. We butchered ours between 9 and 10 weeks. Final cost was around $7.50 per bird.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love to raise Cornish Xs. I've done it before and love the outcome. What I can't justify financially is the initial expense of having to buy the chicks plus the shipping.
I, like many others, consider attempting to put a few breeds together to come up with something that can compare to the Cornish X, but I know there are a lot of people that shy away from these ideas.
I have raised Cornish Bantams and loved the shapes. I am thinking about Standard Cornish.........not the dark, to use in place of the Cornish X. It won't grow as fast, but it will be self-sustaining. I'm still just considering it though.

Latest posts