Chickens on the homestead

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20170520_183408.jpg
IMG_20170512_094826.jpg
IMG_20170428_054936.jpg
In my flock there is Rhode Island Red and Buff Orpington. The first pic is of Mr.Rooster. Second and third pics are of the hens. I also have 2 other roosters (1is a Buff Orpington -ROO roo and the other is an Easter egger- haven't thought of a name for him yet.) They were just given to me this past Sun they are still being integrated.
The pics were taken a couple of weeks ago but I also had to bribe them then work fast to get a nice pic.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Morning!

7 years ago we finally moved out of Houston into the country. New acquaintances of ours were moving and gifted us with their chickens.
Who would have thought we were going to raise chickens???

I have Australorps, Speckled Sussexs, and EEs. I love the Australorps because they make great mamas and their eggs are a nice size. The Speckled Sussexs have such a quizzical personality. They want to know what you are doing at all times. I bought the EEs, just to see a blue egg. I also have one that lays an olive colored egg. They are good layers and my rooster who is an EE is such a gentleman.

We eat the eggs and sell them. Haven't eaten one yet, but will one of these days. I love to have them around because they always make me laugh.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We have some sweet RIR. The first year I would bring them kitchen scraps almost every time I left the house. One in particular is named "Sweetie Pie" and would come running over when I called her.

Roosters have varied. The second rooster we had was pretty intense and when the girls came running to me he would try to protect them from me. That was the end of me feeding the chickens! The rooster we have now is much more chill, I don't fear for my ankles when I walk by him.

My RIR came from Murray McMurray hatchery

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Right now I have standard Plymouth White Rocks and Black Australorps and a few mixes of both, which come out barred birds. The WRs are my main breed, which yields excellent meat of incredible flavor due to the marbled fat within the muscle strands and also remarkable texture, as the meat fibers are so fine and densely packed.

Their feathering is also more fine and densely packed than other breeds, so one could use their feathers for pillows and comforters if they so wished...their feathers have amazing loft and they have more downy feathers close to the body than any breed I've ever had also.

Their laying is exceptional for a DP breed, with most being daily layers in peak season and slow down to 3-4 eggs per week in the winter time if they are not in molt.

They go broody each season but not excessively so...some just once and others a couple of times. I don't let them go broody past the month of May or early June. I'm selecting and breeding for birds that go broody early, raise their family and then get back to the business of laying. They are excellent broodies and fierce mothers, can set large hatches easily and this current flock has a tendency to head to the woods for brooding, which I don't mind if they stay in close enough that the preds are still deterred by the presence of my dogs but far enough out the dogs won't eat the eggs.

They are thrifty on feed and stay in great condition, even store great stores of fat under their skin, on mainly forage and fermented layer as a supplement. They get to be heavy breed birds on the same amount~and often less~feed than the smaller layer breeds. They are hard working birds that forage extremely well and tend to love free range living, getting out in all weathers to hunt and liking to raise their young along the edges of the wood line.

Naturally hardy and not prone to illness or reproductive issues, they can live and lay well clear up into age 5-6 before they stop laying in regular cycles. The hens yield as much meat on their carcass as do some DP roosters of other breeds, so a spent WR hen is still very valuable as meat.

Of a gentle, docile temperament they make for a very quiet and peaceful flock addition and their regal, genteel way of moving and calm demeanor make them a delight to have around. The roosters are quiet, intelligent and gentle. They don't tend to look dirty like other white breeds and I think that is due to the high feather quality they possess, which means they also don't tend to have feather loss on their backs in heavy breeding situations.

100_4599-jpg.2036

100_4624-jpg.2037

100_4676-jpg.2038

100_4678-jpg.2040
100_4689-jpg.2041

My other main breed is Black Australorps, which are the finest layers one can get..a true workhorse breed that lays well and lays long into old age, lays in the winter and even during their molt..they just slow down a little then.

LL

Naturally hardy, thrifty on feed, rarely ever go broody, great foragers, quirky and funny personalities, gentle but the odd one here and there can be a little loud at times, easy keepers and a beautiful bird. I've never had a BA come up missing on free range in all these years...great survivors and savvy out on range.

I'd recommend Black Australorps to anyone, be it for pet flocks or working flocks, though their carcasses don't tend to get real big or heavy, they can still have a respectable carcass when their laying days are done. They are a perfect breed for newbies as you just can't mess up with BAs...they can stand up to mismanagement and still lay a ton and survive into old age, plus they have delightful personalities.

The mix of these two breeds yields meaty cockerels and pullets, beautiful birds but spotty on laying performance and health, a little too broody and not enough laying, but nothing to shout about. The current mix I have is a great layer, though, so there's hope for the mixing of the two.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When my husband was a kid his mom rescued a chicken nearly frozen in a snowbank. She became a house chicken. She went to the bathroom in her little "coop" and laid eggs there as well. She never made a mess of the house. They think she knew to be clean because she was rescued from certain death and was grateful for it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They're good birds....never make trouble. Sometimes they get beat up a little bit because their 'face fluff' kind of blocks their vision and they can't defend themselves against something they can't see! But, they're eye candy and I like 'em!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our normal summer high is like 83. Low in winter is usually lower 20s or high teens. All breeds do well here for the most part. Silkies are probably the worst because of the rain and their feather type. Next worst is everything with foot feathers. The brahmas use them as paddles I swear.

I have my wheaten ameraucana and hatchery easter eggers that do the very best for me. They slow down in winter but still lay. That's expected with the lack of sunlight and heavy clouds.

My silkie pens have lots of tarping as the silly things are quick to learn that a wet head means the crest is out of their eyes so they can see. They lay pretty consistently for most of the year with just a bit of a slowdown as it gets hot. Even if I have no other eggs, I always have silkie eggs. Just takes three of them instead of one. But then, they eat a quarter of what the big girls do. There is always a broody silkie here. I have 19 adult hens. 2 pullets just started laying so if they follow the normal pattern, they will be broody in a few weeks.

I have two female culls on the chicks now that I can sex them. No good for breeding. Extra toe on one and bad split wing on the other. I have a waiting list for female culls. At $10 each they will pay for feed for a month for all the silkies.

They are from my giant silkie project so may be bigger. Side trait that came from their grandmother is they are all friendly and curious even without handling. I need to set that trait in the whole flock.

As much as I like the ameraucana, it's been silkies pulling their weight around here on costs. This large mutation may help out even more as others want eggs after I get it stablized. If they can pay for all of their food and needs, I'll be very happy

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is my first flock.
I have
Australorp (Black)
Barnevelder
Brahma (Buff)
Orpington (Buff)
Sussex (Speckled)
Wyandotte (Golden Laced)
Wyandotte (Silver Laced)

There are 29. They are for eggs and meat. I ordered straight run and the extra roos will be butchered starting at the end of August. I haven't decided how I want to manage the flock from here on out, we'll see how the next few months go.
Chickens are definitely the gateway drug to self sufficiency so I hope we're successful with them!
IMG_20170716_145705412.jpg

IMG_1175.JPG

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a mix.
I don't know the breeds. I think most of them are mixes. Most days half of our eggs are a tan/brown color, and half of the eggs are varying shades of green. None truly blue. None white. We're interested in eggs and meat, but mostly just for the experience. We're not interested in showing.

All 15 of ours seem to get along well, but we've got our eye on two, and think they are young roosters. These two are Patches and Rusty. Too bad because they're such pretty birds! I don't think we'll ever see eggs from these two...
IMG_20170727_151522.jpg

We have three Buff Orpington (These two are Lola and Loosy, Lilly wasn't participating - she's lighter in color than these two), or at least a BO mix:
Then we've got our three old ladies, given to us by friends who couldn't bear to eat them (we call them Dumplings, Coco Vin, and Enchilada):
Our two youngest are Char (as in charcoal) and Ash. They're not consistently laying yet, but we think one of them gave us the tiny mouse fart of a green egg.
IMG_20170727_151909.jpg
IMG_20170807_064256.jpg
Big Red is a loner, but not anti-social. She just doesn't seem to have to be around the others to be comfortable. We think she's a partridge colored Rock or Road Island Red.
Jon Staples is grey with black head. Lilo, Marcy, and Vi are all Easter Eggers as far as I know. Lilo does not have a beard and sideburns but looks like the other two in coloring. Marcy and Vi have beards and ear muffs (no picture of Marcy but she looks like Vi with the ear muffs but is slightly smaller). We're planning on adding some Bard Rocks. So this is our motley crew.

Attachments

• IMG_20170807_063937.jpg
    IMG_20170807_063937.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20170807_063927.jpg
    IMG_20170807_063927.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20170807_063436.jpg
    IMG_20170807_063436.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20170807_063355.jpg
    IMG_20170807_063355.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20170807_064103.jpg
    IMG_20170807_064103.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20170727_160524.jpg
    IMG_20170727_160524.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a mama and chicks now it is very enjoyable watching her teach them they are now 5 weeks old and doesn't look like she's through yet with the training.