Swede

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
IMG_3288.JPG

^ dozy, my loved chick with "curled toe paralysis" ^

IMG_3253.JPG

^ salmon The Tick Master, always has a tick on him! ^
IMG_3207.JPG

^ pancake, the tiny golden hen, is high- pitched and loves laying her eggs in the places we can never get them! ^
IMG_3193.JPG

^ eagle, my favorite hen, lays her egg in that brown pot behind her ^
IMG_3176.JPG

^ black ninja, the master of escaping from the box and hiding under the table, now is a moody teen and pecks me! ^

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
View attachment 4291 Here's the frog!

I would have posted a pic of the wound when he bit me, but that would be quite graphic for some users :sick don't you think @sumi?

I been married to the same woman for 32 THOUSAND years we had 7 children together, adopted 2 and raised 2 more. All my children have grown and moved out and I'm still married to her. So trust me when I say - there is nothing you can say or do to offend me!

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am one of those people that doesn't "get it". I have chickens. I have lots of chickens. I just don't like them very much. (I miss my ducks. I like them much better!) That being said, I think your ninja chicken is good looking!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I traded my chickens for a half dozen butchered rabbits for the freezer this a.m. I was forced to get rid of them because I am moving back to town.

Swede

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're pretty open-minded here with wounds and pics etc…

Love the frog! lol

Haha I know! :lol:

I don't wanna risk getting banned so I'm just gonna say that it was BAD!
(Ketchup included, no mayonnaise though :lol:)

Swede

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a hen here that went broody on another hen's chicks, after she let them go (they were about 8 weeks old already). She is fierce over those youngsters and takes bites out of me every other day. I know broodies and moodies, but that girl is nuts-nuts!

Lol! That gotta hurt!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've got an Orpington now named Lilly who will sit all afternoon in the laying box on eggs that are from other hens. I hate to tell her that they're never going to hatch... We have a young rooster just starting to strut his stuff. We weren't planning on having chicks this year, but I kinda feel sorry for Lilly. I usually leave an egg for her in the box overnight. Maybe I can get her some fake ones?

We're getting about 5 eggs a day from about 8 layers. We have three young ones not laying yet ( we think one is a rooster) and three old ladies well past their prime. They might still be contributing once in a while. We give a dozen a week away to a friend with cancer, and a dozen to an elderly neighbor, and a few slow days this week and we were out of eggs. Funny how quick you get used to getting your own eggs! I was outside the coop the other day waiting for a fresh egg for a recipe. :)-

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you, @sumi . I don't have a small pen right now but can borrow one tomorrow. Today I collected eggs as they were laid, and just kept shooing Lilly out of the nest box. Once I had all the eggs I thought I'd get, I closed up the laying boxes for the day and only let them back in to roost tonight. Lilly wasn't super happy with me, but she did get out and forage with the others. I really appreciate your advice! We are planning on raising at least one batch of chicks next year (mostly just to say we did). Lilly should get her chance next spring.

Attachments

• IMG_20170818_170734.jpg
    IMG_20170818_170734.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 183

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't cha' just love wacko chickens! Some people just don't get it when it comes to chickens.