Chocolate advise needed

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found a recipe for making chocolate dipped jalapenos. It uses chocolate bits and vegetable shortening, well I don't do shortening any more. Could I substitute lard? Also any candy making tips of how to get chocolate to stick to smooth surfaces.

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think you could sub lard or coconut oil.

I don't even like jalapenos but this sounds quite good to me!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yes, you can use lard. As far as the chocolate sticking I have no clue. I had trouble getting mine to stick to strawberries a few months back :hu

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you want it to stiffen up and get a bit hard(that is what crisco does) you could try a bit of all natural beeswax. Not too much tho.. will make it too hard..
and you could try rolling the things you want to dip into the chocolate in powdered sugar or even cocoa before you dip.
working in the big restaurants they had this nifty little trick for getting their deep fry batter to stick to things and not "peel/bubble" off in the fryer.. they would roll the mushrooms in lightly seasoned flour or drakes mix (dry) and then tap off extra and then dip in the liquid batter and fry.. this works great with onions and mushrooms(also steaming the mushrooms til they are cooked and then breading keeps them from shrinking so much away from the breading no breaking shell with lots of moisture and small mushroom in middle).
With the peppers you may want to put on a nice thin dip of chocolate and then let harden and redip. it should completely cover that way.
Or if you have a candy mold.. paint the chocolate in and then mince the peppers and mix with chocolate ganashe. (1lb chocolate and about 1/8 cup heavy cream heat the cream and mix into the chopped fine chocolate until all is melted together mix in the flavor you like.. should stay soft like truffles) fill and then cover with the melted chocolate.. little hot pepper bon bons.. but.. if you use raw peppers they will have a short shelf life.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thankyou all for your replies. I used the lard but coconut oil would be a good flavor addition. Rolling them in cocoa powder did the trick. Don't know how they will harden up, don't have beeswax. Double dipping helped but I forgot to let them cool long enough. I am pleased though the last ones looked like dog doo doo. So I now have a dozen peanut butter filled chocolate dipped jalapenos, Happy Halloween for the hubby.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And depending on your hubby, that's either a trick or a treat! :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Lindt sells a chilli pepper laced chocolate bar. DH loves them! I need to try this too :D

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glad it worked!! Now if you serve it in a (new and clean) litter box filled with crushed graham crackers you can tell him it is kitty litter with poopoos in it ! :lol:

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Glad it worked!! Now if you serve it in a (new and clean) litter box filled with crushed graham crackers you can tell him it is kitty litter with poopoos in it ! :lol:
:yuckyuck

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:lol: I should so try this for hubby!

Latest posts