Chocolate Cake

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I've found that cakes made w/unsweetened chocolate squares just don't seem to have enough of a chocolate flavor. I found this recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook, but did make a few adaptions since I didn't have butter milk, and they just said to put everything in a bowl and mix it together.

1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup powered cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups butter milk*
1/2 cup shortening**
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Cream together sugar and shortening. Add buttermilk and eggs. Add the remaining ingredients, and scrape bowl well. (My mixer is a KitchenAid, so I need to turn it off to scrape the bowl.) Turn mixer to medium speed, and beat for about 3 minutes. Pour into a cake pan that's been greased and floured. Bake at 350* until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes for a 9x13 pan, 30-34 minutes for layers and about 40-45 for a bundt cake. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack, then remove from pan and allow to cool completely, then ice.

* If you have no butter milk, you can make a substitute by putting 1 1/2 tbsp. white vinegar in a cup measure, then adding enough milk to make it to 1 1/2 cups. Allow to sit for a few minutes B4 using.

** I use lard, not shortening.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yep. It's the first chocolate cake I've made that wasn't a mix that actually really tasted like chocolate. The icing was just buttercream icing, but I used mint flavoring instead of vanilla.