Chocolate Hamantashen!?

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today is Purim, the celebration of the happenings in the Book of Esther. One of the special treats for this holiday are Hamantashen, "Haman's Pockets" they are a filled cookie.

This year I made some of the dough chocolate, and put cherry and raspberry with mini chocolate chips in them. They were quite yummy!
Here they are, they taste better than the look.
Hamantashenemail.jpg

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I don't know, they look pretty delicious to me !!!

Chag Purim Sameach

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
chipmunk said:
Oooh.. those look yummy! Care to share the recipe?
I second that!!!
ohiofarmgirl
Yesterday 11:51 am i'm 3rding that request!

ps love Esther

The recipe is from my Betty Crocker Cookbook. That I have used since 1968!!!
This is my absolute favorite cookie recipe for doing rolled and cut out shapes.

Mary's Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
granulated sugar

Mix together sugar and butter. Add egg, vanilla, and almond extract; mix well. Blend in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours. Heat oven to 375 F. Divide dough in half. Roll each half 3/16 inch thick on lightly floured cloth-covered board. Cut into desired shapes; sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until light brown on edges.

To make them Chocolate, I added two melted squares (1 oz) of unsweetened Ghirardelli 100% Cacao to the butter and powdered sugar when I added the egg and vanilla. And I added a bit more flour to compensate for the chocolate. I probably should not have added the extra flour, it made the dough stiffer and harder to make into a triangle without breaking. But, even though the cold dough would break, the filling stayed in them and they rose up to fill in any cracks in the dough.

I used Solo brand fillings, found in most grocery stores in the baking section. I used Apricot, Poppy Seed, Cherry and Raspberry this year. And added the mini chocolate chips in with the fillings for the chocolate Hamantashens.

It is really not the best dough for Hamantashen. It works, and they are great fresh out of the oven. But the dough gets really too soft from the fillings by the next day or so.

It was an experiment this year to try the Sugar Cookie dough, if they stayed like a sugar cookie, with a fruit filling, for a few days, I would have been happier with them. I just ate one of the chocolate ones, and the dough is more like a cake dough now than a nice light and crisp cookie, like they were when they were first out of the oven.

So, if I ever try this again, I will have to have eveyone over to eat them right as they come out of the oven.
BigSmile2.gif

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rebbetzin said:
So, if I ever try this again, I will have to have eveyone over to eat them right as they come out of the oven.
Too bad you live so far away!