1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. American wheat beer - Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a tractor.

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by sleuth, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Feb 21, 2014
    sleuth

sleuth Lovin' The Homestead

I'm getting a nice tax check this year and am going to take the plunge and buy a tractor. Budget is $3K but hope to keep it less than $2500.

I'm needing an auger and grader to start, and I'd like to get an endloader or excavator in the near future. Would prefer a live PTO, power steering, and a wide front wheel base. Based on another thread I know I should look at a Ford 8N ahead of a 2N or 9N. Plan is to use it for digging post holes, maintaining the driveway, gardening use, brush-hogging & mowing, and potentially planting/harvesting 10 acres.

Here's what's available in the neighborhood. I've never bought a tractor before and would love to hear everyone's thoughts on these and compare/contrast with one another.

1. Ford 8N
    2. Ford Jubilee
    3. Ford 801 Powermaster
    4. Ford Workmaster
    5. Ford 640
    6. Ford 850
    7. Farmall 140
    8. Farmall Super A
    9. Allis Chalmers D15 Series II
    10. Allis Chalmers B
    11. Power King 2418
    12. International Harvester 184
    13. 1950 Massey Ferguson T020
    14. 1965 Massey Ferguson - not sure of the model.
    15. 1964 John Deere 1010
    16. Long 360
    17. Satoh S650G
    18. Iseki TS 1910
    19. Iseki TS 1610

Also, thoughts on the following?
    1. Gas vs. Diesel
    2. 6V vs. 12V
    3. Minimum Horsepower to do the above tasks.

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. Feb 21, 2014
    HEChicken

HEChicken Power Conserver

:caf I will also be very interested in the answers - I'm not quite at purchase point but in the future will likely need to get one.

3. Feb 23, 2014
    unclejoe

unclejoe Almost Self-Reliant

Can't go wrong with the Ford N's. They're built to last for many generations. The 4cyl flathead motor is not the most powerful at about 20hp but it will do all the tasks you mentioned. Around here they're cheap and plentiful. You can usually get one for $1500-$2500 depending on condition. I have a '44 2N that I just fixed up last year P1010550.JPG .

4. Mar 10, 2014
    k15n1

k15n1 Almost Self-Reliant

The 8N doesn't have a live PTO. I don't think the hydraulics don't run when the tractor is stationary, which has obvious disadvantages.

If you want to maintain a gravel drive, you need a box blade. And you'll need a drag of some kind.

I have a Jubilee and that's been fine. Can't always find implements that I need. Not for cheap, at least. The plow was 400. Another 500 for a 5.5' double gang set of discs and I had to buy new...

Check the compression on all of the cylinders before you buy. Take a flashlight. See if the filters are clogged or if there are any other signs that it hasn't been maintained.

5. Aug 31, 2014
    Terri P

Terri P Enjoys Recycling

Where are you at on this?
    I am not able to purchase anything this year (and maybe not next) but I need to start my research. I can't afford any mistakes.