Chow-Chow relish question

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just made a batch of chow chow and it doesn't seem like there is that much liquid, most recipe pics online seem to have more liquid in the finished jars, should I be worried???
Here is the recipe I am using. This is for my Mom for Christmas she always mentions this relish with a twinkle in her eye!
http://www.recipezaar.com/Sweet-and-Spicy-Garden-Relish-Chow-Chow-252920
I changed the spices a tad, but not the liquid measurements.
418_100_3717.jpg

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm, it does seem to be a little, thick...you better make another batch..and send THAT batch to me. I will try it out for ya! :p
Did I Mention I love chow-chow?
Just kidding....really...it looks great!! Lucky Mom you have!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
There are approximately half a jillion often-fairly-different recipes for, and types of, chow chow. Yours looks well within the range of variation. I would not worry about it. Who knows whether this is the particular version your mom has in mind, but yours looks yummy and I bet she will enjoy it! :)

Interesting trivia: a pretty strong case can be made that the name "chow chow" is a corruption of the somewhat-related Indonesian relish "atjar" (you have to say it out loud, maybe a couple times, with the a's pronounced like short o's, to see the relation)... which seems rather peculiar for what most people would consider a very traditional *american* pickle from 150 yrs ago or so... makes you realize that global commerce is SOOOOO not a new thing :)

Pat

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance, it tastes AWESOME! It will be something I keep in my own pantry from now on for sure. I think she will love the gesture even if it is not the same as what she remembers from her childhood.
Things I did different:
I added a dash of ginger, mustard and celery seeds and I put the pickling spices in cheesecloth to avoid biting into them. The recipe did not state to do that but I looked up several recipes and combined what I thought would work best.
Umm I tried to say "atjar" out loud a few times and my hubby was like what the heck are you talking about, looking at me like I was insane :D
Cheap and easy to make, I think it should be called Garden in a Jar!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Yours looks wonderful. I actually like it better without much liquid.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I was so nervous to see how little liquid there was in it. I can't believe how addictive this stuff is, now I know why my Mom has such fond memories.