Chowder, cooking big batches and canning?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright, first order of business, HELLO ALL! Lol. Found my way here from BYC.
Now, for the topic, my husband is literally obsessed with bacon potato chowder. He used to be crazy over New England clam chowder, but he only liked the expensive Campbell's chunky, so I came up with the bacon potato chowder recipe (I can hardly even stay in the house when anything fishy is made, it just makes me sick, so I had to make up a replacement). Now, my problem is that I make it in a small crock pot, and it doesn't last long at all. I tried to make it in a larger pot on the stove, but it didn't turn out as well. I think I had the temperature too high and didn't cook it long enough, so, I'm wondering if anyone has tried to make a nice thick chowder maybe in a roaster pan in the oven?
Also, if I purchase a pressure cooker, would I be able to can this stuff? It just takes SOOO long to prepare then cook, and it only makes about three servings, and with our son getting older, this makes only one short meal for the three of us. Please, someone tell me that I can make huge batches in the oven and can it!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You need to check out a book called "Putting Food By". If there's a way to can chowder, I bet it's in there. The trouble with canning things like that is that the milk/cream will probably curdle under such high temps needed for canning. If you notice the label on Campbell's "cream of anything" soups, there's generally no actual cream in there. It just some kind of soy product. Can you possibly freeze your soup? Then again, frozen potatoes kinda taste funny to me.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
:welcome
All I can say is if you are asking about canning a homemade fish chowder then you've got lots to share here! I'm looking forward to reading your posts! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There is a recent thread on cream soups here: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1790&p=2

I made farmerlor's cream of mushroom soup. It is basically made without any dairy, and that is added later when using the soup.

I bet you could make a concentrated form, without any milk, and can that, then add the milk when you heat it up to use it. Just can it according to the time and pressure of the longest-time ingredient.

Other opinions from experienced canners?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you guys. I'm currently working on a dairy-free recipe. Of course, I can't tell hubby that, I want an UNBIASED taste test! Lol.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
bettacreek, just make up the recipe with the broth or clam juice or whatever other liquid it calls for, leaving the dairy out. Then when you open a jar, add the appropriate amount of dairy as you heat it up.

I just did a quick Google search for recipes, as you got me thinking of making some for my mom (I don't like chowder myself). There are tons of recipes out there that look like they'd work great for pressure canning in this way.

Thanks for the idea! I hope it works out for you. Let us know what your final recipe is. I'll report back, too, if I get around to making a batch.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly, if I had been making it for myself, that would be a great idea. It would save me a lot of time and hassles and I wouldn't have to change the recipe. Unfortunately, I'm trying to find a way to make/can it for hubby when he's being a lazy bum, so any extra steps other than "open" and "heat" after the canning process are what I'm trying to avoid, lol.