Cider Press

sparkles2307

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Is it hard to build one? I dont feel like spending what I am finding them for sale at... but doubt my abilities to build anything that requires MUCH skill...its different to build a machine than it is to build a house, ya know!?

kohburn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
cider presses are pretty simple by nature, what they really do for you is speed up the process and make it easier. the process basicly involved pressing the apples and some screening to keep the chunks out.

lots of ways to crush the apples :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
In my Back to Basics book they show details on how to build one using simple lumber and a car jack. I think I will just use my juicer and see what kind of results I get. I know it will be slower than juicing a whole mess at the same time but it may be more efficient.

sparkles2307

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mom used to use a juicer, but I remember it tasted different, better, when we used an old cider press...our apple tree gives us a pickup load every fall and I only use a few for pies and such, want to make some cider and can it!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think the cider pressed juice would taste better also. There is a guy with whom I barter apples for cider and I'm wondering if I won't just do this more this year. I've got plenty of apples and he has a press....works out fine! The rest of the juice I make, I will be canning up and also making into vinegar. Lots and lots of vinegar!

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This has been mentioned on another thread, but I plan to use a sausage stuffer. I have a cider press, but it would take a lot of work to clean it up and get it into shape. That's why I'm going to try this other route.

Peapickinchicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If you have a really good juicer that leaves very little apple in waste container and makes a thick juice that has to be strained (for actual just juice) is fine. I love the Jack Lalaine Juicer is is really good in my experience using it.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I made cider by putting the apples through my juicer and then straining it through a cheese clothe. I then put them in old juice bottles (not milk jugs... pop bottles freeze well too) and put them into the freezer. The juice tasted just like fresh pressed cider! YUM!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
I made cider by putting the apples through my juicer and then straining it through a cheese clothe. I then put them in old juice bottles (not milk jugs... pop bottles freeze well too) and put them into the freezer. The juice tasted just like fresh pressed cider! YUM!
If people don't have any cheese cloth I heard you can also use panty hose too. :lol: