Cinnamon Apple Rings

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is from my 1959 Farm Journal Cookbook. I've tweaked it a little bit.

Here's the biggest tweak, I just core, peel, and slice my apples into wedges instead of rings and pack as many pint jars as I want to do.

Here's the basic recipe for the liquid, but I always have more liquid than the 4 pints it says it works for, usually have enough for almost 7 pints with this recipe. (I really pack in the apple slices:D )

6 cup sugar
3 cup water
1 9oz package red cinnamon candies (redhots)

Combine in a saucepan, boil for about 3 minutes.

Pour liquid over apples. Leaving about 1/2" headspace.

Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath.

The red hots really make it a gorgeous color and the 15 minute process time leaves them with a little bit of a crunch when you open them. My kids love these - I should probably start making them in quart jars. :)

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
How strong is the cinnamon flavor?
I'm a cinnamon addict, so I actually usually add some more powdered vietnamese cinnamon, but with the red hots, it's still really good. They are sweet because of the syrup, but there is definitely a cinnamon flavor.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of strong cinnamon, so I admit to being a bit of a coward to try it...but at the same time it sounds so easy to do that I just feel like I have to do it.

What if I just put some cinn. sticks in there with the rings...or used powdered cinn. in the syrup? What do you think? I know I'd have to play with it to find the flavor I like best, but would like your input since you've done these before.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
I'm not a fan of strong cinnamon, so I admit to being a bit of a coward to try it...but at the same time it sounds so easy to do that I just feel like I have to do it.

What if I just put some cinn. sticks in there with the rings...or used powdered cinn. in the syrup? What do you think? I know I'd have to play with it to find the flavor I like best, but would like your input since you've done these before.
If you don't like a strong cinnamon flavor, I would not use the red hots, but would boil the water with cinnamon sticks for a few minutes, pull out the sticks, then add the sugar to make the syrup. To get the red color - which is totally not necessary, but seriously pretty, just add some red food coloring.

THe regular recipe isn't as strong as Big Red gum, if that helps with the cinnamon factor at all. :/

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you.

Big Red burns my mouth something aweful! I will definately be giving some of these rings a go.

Thank you very much!!!!