Citrus byproduct ideas PLEASE!!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Keljonma, that was a long list of cool stuff to do with citrus. We have two lemon bushes and I am always looking for other stuff to do with them.
Currently we juice them and freeze them in icecube trays, once fozen we put them in vaccuum sealed bags in small portions. I found they last for 2 years that way in the freezer.
I dry the zest in my car. Does double duty that way: makes the car smell nice too. I freeze my lemons briefly before zesting them, makes it easier to remove the zest.
I'll be making lemon salt real soon too. Just add the dried zest to salt.
JbJg, :welcome

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
We have two lemon bushes and I am always looking for other stuff to do with them.
Currently we juice them and freeze them in icecube trays, once fozen we put them in vaccuum sealed bags in small portions. I found they last for 2 years that way in the freezer.
FD - I like canning the juice because I don't have much freezer space. It is not uncommon for us to lose power repetitively and for long periods of time during winter, so juice in the pantry works best for me.

I also use lemon juice in some of my homemade cleaning supplies.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
keljonma, I like to can for the same reason. Once it is canned, you don't have to worry about using power (that you have to pay for) to keep it. And you don't have to worry about the power going out.
I never thought about canning it before. But I will do so now, makes perfect sense.
I also use it for cleaning. Especially in the kitchen. Keeps my counters and sink amazingly nice and stain free. I have an old formica counter. The pattern has been worn off and the lemon juice works great on it. I just go out and pick a couple after doing the dishes and use one in the kitchen and keep the other for use throughout the day. Kitchen smells nice after too, unlike amonia or lysol or bleach.
Lemons will also take stains out of fabric. It might bleach the fabric too though, so it is a good idea to test it first.
Lemon makes a good substitute for vinegar in salad dressing.
Lemon juice will help disolve hard water stains and soap scum.
Have surprise company coming? put some cut up lemon or orange in a pot of water with a dash of cinnamon, put on simmer. Makes the house smell nice and fresh.
Feel the doldrums at the office after lunch. Scratch and sniff a lemon. Will give you a litte pick-me-up. And your co-workers will wonder what you been drinking for lunch :lol:
That's all I can think of for now.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
keljonma, I like to can for the same reason. Once it is canned, you don't have to worry about using power (that you have to pay for) to keep it. And you don't have to worry about the power going out.
I never thought about canning it before. But I will do so now, makes perfect sense.
I also use it for cleaning. Especially in the kitchen. Keeps my counters and sink amazingly nice and stain free. I have an old formica counter. The pattern has been worn off and the lemon juice works great on it. I just go out and pick a couple after doing the dishes and use one in the kitchen and keep the other for use throughout the day. Kitchen smells nice after too, unlike amonia or lysol or bleach.
Lemons will also take stains out of fabric. It might bleach the fabric too though, so it is a good idea to test it first.
Lemon makes a good substitute for vinegar in salad dressing.
Lemon juice will help disolve hard water stains and soap scum.
Have surprise company coming? put some cut up lemon or orange in a pot of water with a dash of cinnamon, put on simmer. Makes the house smell nice and fresh.
Feel the doldrums at the office after lunch. Scratch and sniff a lemon. Will give you a litte pick-me-up. And your co-workers will wonder what you been drinking for lunch :lol:
That's all I can think of for now.
When I was growing up I had white/blonde hair - lemon juice was applied on the hair before sunning .... and used as an after shampoo rinse. Lemon juice will help fade skin spots too! :lol:

All are wonderful ideas! I use lemon juice a lot like you do. :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am so used to using the lemons for cleaning, I don't even think about it anymore. I'll use the spray stuff for some other things, but when that runs out, I don't think I'll buy more. The stuff we have was bought for us by FIL at Costco a couple of years ago. It was a 2fer and typical Costco size :lol:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I am so used to using the lemons for cleaning, I don't even think about it anymore. I'll use the spray stuff for some other things, but when that runs out, I don't think I'll buy more. The stuff we have was bought for us by FIL at Costco a couple of years ago. It was a 2fer and typical Costco size :lol:
I saved the spray bottles when we gave up commercial cleaners about 5 years ago. I use them for my homemade concoctions.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score

rowdysunsetart

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
JbJg said:
Hi - new to this forum and desperate for some advice. We have a smallholding of about 4.5 hectares with 4 young cows, 11 sheep, 105 chickens and 30 pigs. We have just managed to secure the contract to remove all fruit and veg from a local greengrocer as long as its on a daily basis and we take everything...including the citrus. The pigs don't like the citrus and the wormfarm won't either. Any byproduct/processing ideas that won't break the bank and might be of use in another form?
there are alot of ways to deal with the citrus, I see someone said the peels and that is good a few more ideas are

do various cuts on the citrus and dry the whole thing then put some dry flowers and cinnamon sticking out with some ribbon and use them for potpourri when they are in a bunch they look beautiful and smell wonderful you can even sell them and make money.
Dry slices and use them in potpourri.
dry them and use them in art projects, they look really cool when put on a board with other items to create a picture.
squeeze the juice and freeze it. dry the peel and bake with it.
throw them in the compost or where you dont want ants...
stick a stick in the citrus,with a string so they can hang then let them dry then paint and decorate them for the holidays. Go to DIY and the Martha for more ideas...if you dry them maybe you can even sell them to the art community in your area.