Clay Soil--how do I improve it for gardening?

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have very heavy clay soil on land that was just cleared of trees and brush. What should I do to start improving it for a spring garden? We live in Southeast Alabama, so the winter is very mild. Don't know if there is something I could plant over the winter that could be turned under in the spring?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
How well does it drain? If it really holds the moisture in, you may need to add some sand.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Use the compost that frustratedearthmother said to use and add some compost to it and add that. Lots and lots of organic matter make for good garden soil in the clay.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, compost and lots of it :)

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Another vote for compost. Also, if the idea isn't offensive, you can jump start it by adding peat moss. That'll help break up the clay and add plenty of organic matter if you don't have lots of compost on hand immediately.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
COMPOST! just did that up here in CT with heavy clay soils. lots of compost. if you can't get compost get clean mulch (no colors or additives) pile it on thick 3 to 4" and it will break down and you can turn it in in the spring. Check with your local land fill most now a days have a free compost and mulch program. it saves them having big pockets in the landfills (trees limbs and organic matter break down too fast).

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have two horses that do nothing but turn hay into manure for me. I'll send one right over :D

Seriously, add organic material. Don't go broke doing it, find stuff for free. It really doesn't matter what it is......manure, leaves, grass clippings, compost, etc.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
How well does it drain? If it really holds the moisture in, you may need to add some sand.
If you add sand make sure it is large grain sand. Sharp builders sand or fine river or beach sand will just make it worse. Good for making bricks though. I agree with the compost school it is the best cure. Spme will suggest Gysome (sp) old dry wall board, I tried it and it did nothing for my clay, chemistry can vary.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Happy to be Me said:
We have very heavy clay soil on land that was just cleared of trees and brush. What should I do to start improving it for a spring garden? We live in Southeast Alabama, so the winter is very mild. Don't know if there is something I could plant over the winter that could be turned under in the spring?
Grow buckwheat or another cover crop, and then till it under. Compost, definitely....and most importantly, TIME.

Drainage itself is important. If you carve out a garden in a plot heavy clay soil, you could find yourself, after a few seasons, creating essentially a clay "bowl" filled with your good soil that then fills with water after every rain.